#1 Matt Parr

Matt Parr

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:50 AM

Hey guys. I've read these forums for a while and gotten quite a bit of useful info from them, but I now have a few specific questions regarding an upcoming shoot that I don't think have been fully answered here.

In roughly two weeks time I'll be shooting a short on a B&H Filmo 70DR with tri-x film. The shoot is entirely indoors at night, with everything happening in two rooms where the lights are both on and off (depending on the scene). One is a bedroom, the other a living room. I'd like to get some heavy shadows, but I know that since its reversal I'll have to nail the lighting/exposure just about perfectly in order to get usable footage.

I guess I've got a couple questions here:
How much contrast can I get between my key and fill while keeping the shot "darker" and well shadowed? I feel there's a balance here that I'll need to strike.
On the camera-side, do I expose for the highlights and go from there or do I expose for the majority of the room and tweak stuff in post if its too bright?
What'll be my best bet for getting a noticeable difference between "lights on" and "lights off" in the two rooms? Just pump in a ton more light? I'm really more worried about the transitions when he turns the lights on and off, tho I may be able to pull some trickery in the editing room for that.

I'm not sure exactly what lights I'll be able to procure, but for the time being I know I have some 1400W halogen work lights (that're gonna get hotter than blue blazes, I know), a china ball, and misc lamps around the house. I might be able to get ahold of some 1k solarspots or a MR tweenie/softie kit, but I'm not sure how lucky I'll be. I also have a handy 5-in-1 reflector and some bounce boards.

(for the record, this guy - http://www.cinematog...showtopic=45007 - had a similar situation, but I don't think all of my questions were addressed)

Thanks guys
-MP

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineTape