Pattyjae

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

I'm shooting a film soon which is largely set at night. In the night scenes we are having a lantern as a practical light source for the key light. The lantern only outputs a very small amount of light and I need to boost this with another light source. I'm just wondering what the best method to do this would be? I thought about hanging a soft light source such as a kino flo above it but don't want the top of the lantern to be lit. Would this be the best method? Or is there a much better method I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Pat

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Often when dealing with a lantern, you can wire a bulb into it in place of the fire. I would speak with any prop masters you have about what they can do (my choice if at all possible).
You could also just tape a brighter light to the lantern; small bulb, hidden from view of the camera, hide the wires as well and run them to a battery pack or on mains... depends on the shot and how far the person is moving, if they are moving.
You could dress up the inners from a coleman lantern inside the type of lantern you're using, which is quite a bright source if memories from camping serve, and "yellow/orange" the glass to get the right color (coleman is bright white iirc).
You could hand a china ball off of a boom poll and track along with the actors, painting the top of the lantern a darker matte color to help hide the china balls reflection up there (though honestly unless it was very distracting i mightn't even bother).

#3 Paul Brenno

Paul Brenno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Dakota

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Using a China Lantern (small one, if possible) gelled with CTO and flagged off, would be a great way to enhance hte lighting of the lantern, just out of camera view. Another way is to use a small LED lite panel (also gelled) on a dimmer to simulate the light, at a higher wattage. You also can use small 150 watt fresnel lite (Arri to even Lowell) for the same purpose. I would experiment, see what the best effect would be, since these are all hypothetical until you actually use them, but these are great starting points....Dean Semler (oscar winning DP) said when lighting..." if it feel looks right and feel right your eye, you've generally got it "....tweak when needed

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

The Slider

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc