3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

Multiquip (who bought out and still makes the Crawford line) has introduced a re-badged Honda EU6500is that has a 60a Bates standard. It's mounted in a tube style frame like Backstage makes. Specs indicate that it still only provides 45a continuous, so no bump in output. The idea is still nifty. I've inquired about pricing. For an MQ dealer, it may be equal or even less than buying the Honda at retail.

http://www.multiquip...tiquip/PSG6.htm

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

I'd wait for the word from Guy Holt -- He's all over this kind of stuff, massively expert on small generators and power factor.

-- J.S.

#3 Ed Conley

Ed Conley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

We have been using this set up for a while but first I've seen MQ selling them now

#4 Eric Jaspers

Eric Jaspers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Best Boy

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'd wait for the word from Guy Holt -- He's all over this kind of stuff, massively expert on small generators and power factor.

John’s right. If you want more information about portable generators than you could ever possibly use, read his newsletter article that Harry Box has a link to on his Box Book Extra’s page.

I have worked with both modifications of the Honda EU6500 so I can tell you differences between them. The draw back to MQ’s bates mod is, as Michael says “still only provides 45a continuous, so no bump in output.” ScreenLight & Grip takes a very different approach. According to the newsletter article they somehow access additional power that is built into the generator for countries that operate on 230/240V and then step it down to 120V with a Transformer to give you the full power capacity of the generator in a larger 60A 120V circuit capable of powering larger lights or more smaller lights than the MQ modification permits. Besides being able to power larger lights, the addition of the step-down transformer offers a number of other benefits that MQ modification does not offer. See ScreenLight & Grips website for details.

- Eric Jaspers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies