6 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Halloran

Tim Halloran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Deluxe, Technicolor agree to combine film services--Variety article announcing the pact:

http://tinyurl.com/4xdu5en

Damn. I refuse to buy into the doom and gloom, but this is still completely depressing.

Tim

Edited by Tim Halloran, 19 July 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

At least here in LA, the labs have always subbed stuff out to each other. It happened when they had heavy loads of work come in, or a machine broke down. You could shoot tests, send them to different labs, and have them go through the same soup. What's different about this is the large amount of back end that's involved in formal permanent deals.

-- J.S.

#3 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

The days that I start working in the industry are extremely changing.

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

There's no doubt this is a scary time to be in the lab industry.

I'll be God-damned if I'm not the last one to pull the plug on ECN/ECP processing though. Still rolling 35mm film every single day at work.

Frankly, I HOPE the volume shrinks. When the likes of cinemark get out of the print industry, the prices may go up, but maybe a smaller lab can compete for print runs, and run at a slower speed, with better quality control and good, consistent colors, density, and sharp, steady contacts.

2,500 print runs aren't good for quality, aren't good for consistency, aren't good for the viewer, therefore aren't good for FILM.

I'm hoping we can help the small theatres hang on. The studios want them to die. If smaller labs can position themselves when Technicolor, Deluxe are done (looks like Technicolor already is, basically, as far as release printing goes), and offer a price model that a small theatre can afford when the studios stop providing free $1500 prints, I think there is a chance to give the small theatres a HIGHER quality product than the Wal-marts of the industry.

I've seen 4K put onto 35mm print stock. That makes it a viable means of getting content on the screen superior to every single digital screen by a factor of four in my geographic area.

#5 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:50 AM

No it's time to let film projection die for the majority commercial theater market, and quickly. In my view less than 40% of theaters can even show a print properly, or even acceptably, so it's time to get rid of the lost-cause 16 year old projectionists in the chain who apparently text their friends instead of checking audio/focus/light levels, registration, etc..

It is so bad that I now fully expect, at the least, that the surround sound will not be on. This was confirmed just yesterday when I went to one of the smaller chains (Laemmle's in LA). I started to laugh as I complained since it was so routine. The surround was off and the high's in the audio track were warbling like crazy so of course any music was awful. The guy working there looked at me with a blank stare, like usual, and never said anything back, not even a "sorry". I probably interrupted his pot/smoke break.

This problem has become an epidemic and I bet is a major factor in keeping people out of the theaters, along with rude, self-centered viewers who talk and let phones ring/text.

My plasma fed with a bluray is a ten-times better viewing experience than all but the best theaters at this point. Too bad for me, them, the few real projectionists left, Kodak and Fuji.

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

.... so it's time to get rid of the lost-cause 16 year old projectionists in the chain who apparently text their friends instead of checking audio/focus/light levels, registration, etc...

They're not supposed to be texting. They're supposed to be making and selling popcorn. ;-)

-- J.S.

#7 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:26 AM

Texts can be useful things. I've texted projectionists to tell them to FIX the focus at certain theatres (being on the inside hath its advantages), saving me the trouble of getting up and interrupting anyone's "buzz break."

As for "harshing a buzz, man" give the kid a break, maybe he was, cough cough, sick.

Let 35mm print die? Those 16 yos are working up there because they get padi sh__. They can't pay the price of ONE TICKET an hour to a dedicated projectionist. Smaller theatres don't have that problem around here.

The former owners of the four-screen in town STOPPED BEING SHIPPED FILM when the cinemark was built down the street. They eventually bought an eight screen down the street.

Walked around, toured their booth, not a single scratch, focus problem, flicker problem (except for one he was getting ready to change end of a show). Incredible what throwing just a little bit of money at the problem will do.

Don't throw 35mm under the bus, throw cinemark, 27 yo GMs 19 yo managers being in charge of projectionists, and $7.84/hour pay to run 32 mi. of film around upstairs for the "precision work."

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Opal