#1 Oscar Hurtado

Oscar Hurtado

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi, anyone knows if there's a good place to service Pathe DS8 cameras in the USA? I have a professional reflex ds8 btl and would like to get it serviced before shooting with it. thanks for any information regarding this!

#2 Todd Pinder

Todd Pinder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Honolulu

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

In the US I would contact Bernie at Super16 Inc. If you don't mind shipping to Canada, I can recommend Jean-Louis (forum member). Jean-Louis serviced my Bolex Rex 4 DS8.

Cheers!

#3 Oscar Hurtado

Oscar Hurtado

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

In the US I would contact Bernie at Super16 Inc. If you don't mind shipping to Canada, I can recommend Jean-Louis (forum member). Jean-Louis serviced my Bolex Rex 4 DS8.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot Todd, very useful! What is Jean Louis' complete name?

#4 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Jean-Louis S├ęguin.

#5 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the recommendations Todd and Glenn, but it must be at least 20 years since I have seen a Pathe, let alone repair one!
They are exceedingly rare in my neck of the woods.

Perhaps Oscar, you can give us more details on what needs to be done.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

#6 Oscar Hurtado

Oscar Hurtado

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the recommendations Todd and Glenn, but it must be at least 20 years since I have seen a Pathe, let alone repair one!
They are exceedingly rare in my neck of the woods.

Perhaps Oscar, you can give us more details on what needs to be done.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

Thanks for your reply Jean-Louis! Well, I recently purchased the Pathe DS8 from ebay. It came with the angenieux f1.9 8-64 lens and everything seems to be working as it should EXCEPT THE FOCUS. I can only focus when I totally zoom in... in 64mm. If i try to zoom out and go wider the focus is lost even if I try to refocus moving the focus ring... I know the lens could use some collimation but the fact that it only focuses when totally zoomed in is just weird. I don't notice anything damaged in the lens or when i remove the lens to check the mount and the pathe angled mirror. The camera runs well and I have refocused the viewfinder several times to see if it was just the viewfinder being not well calibrated to my eyes but no... nothing in focus still. I would like to try with another 8-64 lens to conclude its the lens and not the camera, but this lens is also hard to find. The camera also accepts the angenieux f1.2 6-90 but this lens is even more rare to find. I contacted a well known Pathe Tech in Europe and he also suggests trying another lens before sending the camera to service... shipping would be really expensive not mentioning the service.

Have you ever come across something like this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#7 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for your reply Jean-Louis! Well, I recently purchased the Pathe DS8 from ebay. It came with the angenieux f1.9 8-64 lens and everything seems to be working as it should EXCEPT THE FOCUS. I can only focus when I totally zoom in... in 64mm. If i try to zoom out and go wider the focus is lost even if I try to refocus moving the focus ring... I know the lens could use some collimation but the fact that it only focuses when totally zoomed in is just weird. I don't notice anything damaged in the lens or when i remove the lens to check the mount and the pathe angled mirror. The camera runs well and I have refocused the viewfinder several times to see if it was just the viewfinder being not well calibrated to my eyes but no... nothing in focus still. I would like to try with another 8-64 lens to conclude its the lens and not the camera, but this lens is also hard to find. The camera also accepts the angenieux f1.2 6-90 but this lens is even more rare to find. I contacted a well known Pathe Tech in Europe and he also suggests trying another lens before sending the camera to service... shipping would be really expensive not mentioning the service.

Have you ever come across something like this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If the lens is seriously out of collimation, the wide angle will be noticeably out of focus, even in the viewfinder.
The way a zoom lens is designed, the focus ring has very little effect on the focus at the wide position.

Luckily, your camera will work with any C-mount lens. Try to find one locally if you can. It could be from a 16mm camera or a video camera, it doesn't matter. A fixed focal length lens would actually be preferable if you want to check whether the camera or the lens have a problem.

Good luck!
Jean-Louis

Glidecam

CineTape

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

CineLab