New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Cape Town, South Africa

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:14 AM

Good morning!

I have a viral add coming up that is set in a 'club' scenario which also includes some scenes at the 'bar' area. The director/script is making it a comedy primarily but it plays off at almost the end of the party (roughly 2 - 3 am in the morning) so it has an off beat/quirky feel to it as well! I will be shooting on a type of D7000/7d or 5d DSLR.

My main worry is how to re-create that in lighitng; As I understand comedy should mostly be clean/high key so the audience can relate and laugh at the punch line (as oppose to a more contrasty image which refers to a drama/thriller scenario) BUT seeing that the quirkiness needs to be present I think a low light, almost sweaty/sickening (after a long binch of too much drinking etc), image needs to be portrayed.

So to do this I was thinking :
- two or three pools of lights (space lights) giving depth to the image and a more darker feel. 1st layer (base).
- a mirror ball and some coloured stage lighting to create movement thus a 2nd layer on top of the soft pools of light 'base'.
- a smoke machine as a 3rd layer
- and then either a light panel or some 2ft/2bank kinos for fill, seperation and key light.

Am I on the right track? This is still in its early pre prod phase so not even sure I have budget for all of this, just getting my wish list in order i guess...

Opinions would be appreciated,

Thank you

Pierre

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC