#1 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

I am fairly new to applying for work but it seems as though by the time the production is up and running, they already have in mind the people to do the jobs and it usually goes down the chain of command who chooses the next employee. What happens if you don't know the person in the chain of command (i.e. Camera Operator/Assistant)?

What were any of your methods getting work in the lower end of the industry and if you do blind hire, what are the things you tend to look at and prefer in a resume?

#2 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

I am fairly new to applying for work but it seems as though by the time the production is up and running, they already have in mind the people to do the jobs and it usually goes down the chain of command who chooses the next employee. What happens if you don't know the person in the chain of command (i.e. Camera Operator/Assistant)?

What were any of your methods getting work in the lower end of the industry and if you do blind hire, what are the things you tend to look at and prefer in a resume?

A few years ago, I noticed a post here in the "jobs" forum from someone, fresh out of school who offered to work for free. I checked out his student work and asked if he'd help me on a mini spec spot for one day. After that I hired him as a 2nd ac and gaffer on some indie features.

That was one way of getting to know people in the "chain of command" :) and it worked for him. Now, he's not so often available...

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport