Hugo Rosado

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:27 AM

Hi all,

I'm starting with the Super 8 thing. I found my father camera and i've decided to start shooting family holydays with it. In this first attempt i bought the Ektachrome 100D, light bulb set and start rolling! :)

The problem is with the camera behavior. I'm guessing it has an electronic problem because the AA batteries becomes largely depleted after 20ft filming. If i take the film out and in again the camera still shoots a few seconds, but if I stop, then it does not start again, it seems that there is not enough power to re-start rolling... I bought the batteries in the morning and at evening, they were completely depleted.

I think there is a leak somewhere. I would like to know you opinion about this.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

If the batteries you purchased are new alkaline Double A batteries and they are depleting this rapidly, then your camera has an electrical short in it somewhere. Did you feel the batteries to see if they are getting warm or hot? This is indicative of an electrical short. The most common place to track this down is the battery chamber itself. Some light corrosion could be causing a short to ground, thus draining the power. Examine the battery compartment with a flashlight and use a cotton swap dampened with alcohol and clean up all areas around the electrical contacts. Look for mild corrosion. Use compressed air cans and blow out any debris from the battery compartment. If there is nothing visible, and you've cleaned it up, then the problem is more serious and could be internal in the camera. Sometimes mild corrosion from the battery compartment will work its way up the electrical wire(s) to the main circuit board and/or motor assembly. Usually any corrosion in the wiring nearing a point along the camera's metal body, will also cause a short to ground. To find this, would require camera disassembly and that can be so involved, that even many camera repair technicians wouldn't do it. The best option after doing what I've outlined is to just keep this camera as a keepsake, and look for another working Super 8mm camera. There are so many out there, and you can often find one in good order for a very reasonable or cheap price. Best regards.

#3 Hugo Rosado

Hugo Rosado

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your support.
I will try that and check if there is any short around. I will think twice before disassembling it :)

I'll reply to this thread if i have news.

The Slider

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera