#1 Alec Eagon

Alec Eagon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hey everyone

Really quick question. Ordered a 400ft spool of 7219 from Kodak 16mm, somebody in our house left the front door open and when UPS came my dog was going crazy, so they left the package on the front lawn and I didn't discover it until roughly 5 hours later. It got up to 75-80 or so oustide, and when I pulled the canister out of the package it was *very warm*. I acclimated it to room temp and now I have put it in a dark cooler room. I am planning on refrigerating it at about 50 tonight.

I was planning on using this fresh role for a really clean test reel. I know that drastic changes in temp can be bad....anything I should be worried about?...or am I freaking out here.

Thanks!
-Alec

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

So it will be at 75-80° for 5 hours (22-25°C). How is that going to be, in terms of effect, any different than it being in a magazine on set for four or five hours?

You'll be fine. Even if it were taken out of the can with just the black bag to protect it will be fine. Left a 100-foot can of film in a car lastd summer, unknowingly, for better part of a MONTH (it fell out of a box with more film that got taken into the house while I was on travel).

Isolated the roll, threw it in the freezer (think it was 320 or 400D), read it after doing a clip test, and it read IDENTICALLY to the film that hadn't been baked for a month.

Now, that being said, after you've breathed a sigh of relief, I am going to have to be a bit of a buzz-kill. You mention "clean" 7219 will, by no means, be CLEAN in any way, even if you rate it at EI 250. 16mm and 500-speed will produce very grainy results, especially in 1080P HD.

I'd recommend 250 or slower with 16mm for footage that isn't noticeably grainy.

BTW, if you want to do a clip test, and the film was insured for shipping, maybe cut 4-5 feet (120-150cm) from the head of the roll and test it and get UPS to reimburse you for that cost. Ultimately, they should have known better if the package was clearly marked as containing film, and, despite my anecdotal account, I'd probably still test in this situation if it were for something important, just to have peace of mind.

Unless there is a huge time crunch, I always try to shoot some sort of test with each new emulsion batch I work with.

#3 Alec Eagon

Alec Eagon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

So it will be at 75-80° for 5 hours (22-25°C). How is that going to be, in terms of effect, any different than it being in a magazine on set for four or five hours?

You'll be fine. Even if it were taken out of the can with just the black bag to protect it will be fine. Left a 100-foot can of film in a car lastd summer, unknowingly, for better part of a MONTH (it fell out of a box with more film that got taken into the house while I was on travel).

Isolated the roll, threw it in the freezer (think it was 320 or 400D), read it after doing a clip test, and it read IDENTICALLY to the film that hadn't been baked for a month.

Now, that being said, after you've breathed a sigh of relief, I am going to have to be a bit of a buzz-kill. You mention "clean" 7219 will, by no means, be CLEAN in any way, even if you rate it at EI 250. 16mm and 500-speed will produce very grainy results, especially in 1080P HD.

I'd recommend 250 or slower with 16mm for footage that isn't noticeably grainy.

BTW, if you want to do a clip test, and the film was insured for shipping, maybe cut 4-5 feet (120-150cm) from the head of the roll and test it and get UPS to reimburse you for that cost. Ultimately, they should have known better if the package was clearly marked as containing film, and, despite my anecdotal account, I'd probably still test in this situation if it were for something important, just to have peace of mind.

Unless there is a huge time crunch, I always try to shoot some sort of test with each new emulsion batch I work with.

hey thanks a ton for the quick response. that eased definitely eased my fears a bit.
ya in terms of "clean" I am more referring to fog and color corruption than grain. The grainy 500t is what I am going for with this project...gonna be in a ton of mixed light scenarios, so the rougher look will be fine.
Thanks again!
-Al

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

75-80 degrees? Brrrrrrrrr! We're headed to 110 this week in Dallas.

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets