#1 v ruffin

v ruffin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

Can anyone recommend a good camera for around $2000-2500 with interchangeable lenses? I currently have the Sony Nex VG10 and it is pretty good however Ive read alot of bad reviews in regards to this camera. I'm considering the Canon 7d as a potential camera but Ive heard that since DSLR's aren't actual video cameras, there maybe some extra things I need to buy for it to (physically) function like one. One thing I don't like about my Sony is that it shoots in 30FPS only. My other gripes include not having XLR inputs (for sound) and no firewire 800 port. What are your thoughts on the Sony? What are your Sony Nex VG10 vs the Canon 7D thoughts? What other camera would you put next to those camera's in the same price range?

Lastly, Im a sound editor getting into film so I'm learning alot as I go. The Sony Nex VG10 is my 1st camera so I dont have any other camera experience to compare it to.

#2 Diego Gagliardi

Diego Gagliardi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Can anyone recommend a good camera for around $2000-2500 with interchangeable lenses? I currently have the Sony Nex VG10 and it is pretty good however Ive read alot of bad reviews in regards to this camera. I'm considering the Canon 7d as a potential camera but Ive heard that since DSLR's aren't actual video cameras, there maybe some extra things I need to buy for it to (physically) function like one. One thing I don't like about my Sony is that it shoots in 30FPS only. My other gripes include not having XLR inputs (for sound) and no firewire 800 port. What are your thoughts on the Sony? What are your Sony Nex VG10 vs the Canon 7D thoughts? What other camera would you put next to those camera's in the same price range?

Lastly, Im a sound editor getting into film so I'm learning alot as I go. The Sony Nex VG10 is my 1st camera so I dont have any other camera experience to compare it to.

It's a tough call, I had the Canon 7D and in 1080 24p, it's beautiful. I also considered the VG10, now the VG20, however, I'm also a former recording engineer and the lack of XLR audio killed it for me. I'm now saving up for either a Panasonic AF100, Sony FS100 or the new Canon coming out in Nov 3rd. I would save my money and get one of the cameras I mentioned. When I first bought my 7D, I had to spend a lot of money kitting it up so it handles like a real camera, kinda was difficult since I was the only operator. I then sold it and thought, I need a real camera. Hope that helps man, best of luck.

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineLab

Technodolly