Gabriela Castanon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • South Africa

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:23 AM

Hi there everyone,

I have been working in live TV for four years now, so my film knowledge is a little rusty!:)
I was wondering if you can use HD lenses on 16mm and 35mm cameras, or are the two technologies incompatible?
Regards,
Andrea

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

You need a little adaptor that corrects for the fact that 2/3" B4 HD lenses are designed to focus red, green, and blue rays through a prism block onto three sensors. Otherwise it works other than the fact that the 2/3" sensor is smaller than the Super-16 frame, so while the lens might cover Super-16 (or the cropped 2K mode on the Red One), it probably won't cover a 35mm frame.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Is there any TV lens and adapter combination for which you can't find a purpose-built film lens that will do a better job for the same cost?

-- J.S.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

I worked on an NFL commercial Lance Accord shot on Super 16 with a Fujinon HD zoom. I asked him pretty much your same question, he answered, "sure, why not, it looks great. no problems" Who am I to argue. I have often thought about shooting some super 16 on zeiss digiprimes, except that they are insanely expensive, especially when compared to zeiss super speeds and will they be any better? I wonder how or if the coating on the lenses or some other factor might effect the film in an odd way, but I dunno. I guess one inch video zooms from way back are great for Super 16. I just bought an Aaton an am shopping around for such a lens

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

The advantage of the HD lenses is that they are physically small and offer an extended range of magnification in available focal lengths. A common HD zoom would be an 18x zoom range. Show me that in 35.

AbelCine manufactures optical adapters for this purpose. Te HDx35 optically corrects the image form a single sensor plain and magnifies it to fit the larger image area.

http://www.abelcine....ptical-Adapter/

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

The advantage of the HD lenses is that they are physically small and offer an extended range of magnification in available focal lengths. A common HD zoom would be an 18x zoom range. Show me that in 35.

AbelCine manufactures optical adapters for this purpose. Te HDx35 optically corrects the image form a single sensor plain and magnifies it to fit the larger image area.

http://www.abelcine....ptical-Adapter/

Is there much loss in sharpness with these adaptors?

#7 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Is there much loss in sharpness with these adaptors?

Good question.

I can think of a couple tests, both debateable:

HD lens and adapter on a big chip camera vs. HD lens alone on a three chip camera

HD lens and adapter on a film camera vs. equivalent cost film-designed lens on the same camera.

-- J.S.

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Visual Products