No replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

Ive been watching reruns of Quantum Leap lately. Great show and very cool concept. Though I am surprised by the graininess in some shots in various episodes. This is the last thing that I would have expected for a TV show that was filmed in the 1990s with relatively modern film stocks. Shows from the 80s, 70s and 60s are finer grained in comparison. For example, right now I am watching Quincy and that is extremely clean looking (both interior and exterior shots.)

"Hurricane" is one of the grainiest episodes of Quantum Leap that I have seen. And that is not including the stock footage used in that particular episode which is also grainy. Actually, the opening sequence is almost grainless - very clean looking. Though there is excessive grain in some later scenes, including an exterior shot in what looks like overcast weather. And there is one particular interior shot that is super grainy - looking like a sand storm with particles swirling across the screen. Anybody have any ideas what film stocks were used on that show, and whether there was some push processing involved? Also, was this shot on 16mm? I find it hard to visualise 35mm being this grainy when viewed on a TV screen.

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly