#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

I have 400ft of S8 prepped and ready for a transfer. I want to do an HD scan onto a external drive. I use Windows with Sony Vegas, but all the post houses i am interested in use Mac based workflow. I can work with a Pro Rez file in Vegas if i install Quicktime. But my external drive is Windows formatted. Does anyone have experience working with an HD to hard drive workflow with Windows?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

You'll need to speak with the post house as to what drive formats they can write to and explain to them that you need an NTFS formatted dive back.
IF they can't do that you'll need to look into software to "read" the HFS+ drive (Mac OS Journaled) which does exist (I've used a program for that before a long time ago) or find a friend with a mac and have him copy it to your PC over a network (something I do @ Home is have a network drive for swapping between my mac and pcs).

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

What he said. However:

I tend to take a fairly robust attitude with post houses about this sort of thing. Many of them - particularly London-based establishments - have a real attitude problem with small jobs, as if they're doing you a favour by taking your money into their facility, which they're often rather obviously desperate to present as high-end and too good for the likes of... well, everyone, really. I suppose what I'm trying to express is that they can be terribly snobbish and often end up confusing the customer-supplier relationship. Don't let them try to tell you how they want to do your job; you're paying the money and you are in charge.

This obviously does imply you know what you're talking about and you shouldn't reject genuine advice, but don't let them talk you into a workflow that happens to be convenient for them, especially if it has negative technical outcomes for you (unnecessary compression, inconvenient media formats, etc). If they don't have the equipment or don't know how to do what you want done, find somewhere
more competent or better equipped.

In your example, the post house should be able to either network your files to a windows or linux box, or if not, their mac should have the right software on it to write NTFS disks. I would consider this part of the minimum proper equipment. Many post houses don't.

P

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

Otherwise my other option is to get a mini DV tape in HDV 1440x1080. The compression wouldn't be too bad for S8, but I'd rather have the highest starting point and go from there on my own.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

HDV is certainly not a way to go... ProRes is a good option, much better than what you'd get on MiniDV... but you need to speak with the post house and tell them your needs. There shouldn't, as Phil mentions, be any reason they cannot or would not write to a windows formatted disk. And, even if they did, the $30 or so you'd spend on a program to mount and read HFS+ on a PC is, very much so, a small price to pay for a far superior compression than HDV.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Actually I suspect HDV would be horrible for super-8, with all that visible grain and probably a certain amount of jitter and unsteadiness to encode. If that's the only way you can do it, don't do it.

P

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks