#1 andrew parrish

andrew parrish
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

I just picked up a bolex h8 rex4, and was wondering what people think would be a more useful piece of equipment; the switar 5.5 rx lens or a matte box. the camera came with the kern 8-40ee. I will be shooting mainly for skateboarding, snowboarding, family movies, and surfing. ( I already have the telephoto stuff)

T'anks for lookin'

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

Matte box and filters is indispensable in my opinion and what's nice, is that as as investment you can later use it on other cameras (one hopes) and the filters you wind up buying can last you a life-time.
While a Wide angle lens is great, and quite en-vogue for skateboarding ect, I think you'd find more use and a wider range of usages for the matte. How else, for example, will you throw in Pola and ND filters to make skies pop for those beauty wide shots of surfers in early morning?

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

Matte box and filters is indispensable in my opinion and what's nice, is that as as investment you can later use it on other cameras (one hopes) and the filters you wind up buying can last you a life-time.
While a Wide angle lens is great, and quite en-vogue for skateboarding ect, I think you'd find more use and a wider range of usages for the matte. How else, for example, will you throw in Pola and ND filters to make skies pop for those beauty wide shots of surfers in early morning?

#4 andrew parrish

andrew parrish
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Adrian,

Your advice sound really good to me. I bought the H8 as a gateway to shooting !6mm, and I don't think that I'm going to stay with it forever. I have been shooting Super 8 and video for a few years, and have a few other cameras, so I really dig the concept of having flexable equipment. I am somewhat nervous about buy such a proprietary lens, for a camera i'm not married to. So far I have been using lens hoods and filters from my still photo kit, but I can see the limitations of them.

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio