andrew parrish
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hi All,

I am considering buying a Bolex matte box, and was thinking about how my existing filters (tiffen and Cokin) will work with it. Will I have to get specific bolex compatable filters, or can I use these generic ones, with out modifying the matte box?

Thanks

AP

#2 andrew parrish

andrew parrish
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Well, I have picked up a bolex matte box, and done a few experiments. The issue is the size of the filler holder on the Matte box. It looks like it is designed to take 2x3 gels.

Without a adapter of some kind, you cannot connect the filters to the matte box. I think anyone who has a few basic skills could fab up a holder to connect a different slide in filter system- the bolex one is held on by just 4 standard screws.

The small Cokin filter holder is very tight if mounted at the taking lens, and I don't think it will work

The screw on filters will fit in, up to about 58mm, but I'm sure a matte should be use to cut down light entry.

The downside of the screw on filters is two fold- first you need to have the proper thread adapter- not too bad, if you have a big collection of same sized filters, because the adapters are relatively cheap. The second problem is that screw in filters are slow to use compared to one that slide in, especially if you are using a "stack", and the light is changing.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC