Photo

Mir 24n lens - is my nikon to canon adapter too cheap?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Niall Conroy

Niall Conroy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Other
  • Ireland

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hello all!

So, i finally bought a Mir 24n - It had been on my wishlist for awhile. It came with both an m42 and nikon mount - however the m42 mount wouldn't work with my current m42 adapter. So i decided to buy a nikon to canon mount just for the Mir.

So far, i'm a little underwhelmed - doing upclose stuff seems pretty OK, but once I go wide it seems to under perform. And i'm starting to wonder if its just a weak connection to the camera and the nikon to canon mount is just really poor quality? thus not allowing me to get the full benifits of this lens?

When the Mir is connected to the adapter and put on the canon (60D) it feels slightly loose and not FULLY connected. I also have a Helios 44m4 with another cheap m42 adapter - but this works amazingly (feels secure and firmly connected to the camera), and is easily the best lens I have in my collection. So i'm a little confused about the whole situation...

anyone have any experience or ideas about this situation?

Many thanks

also - for those not familiar with the lens, heres an example of what its capable of:

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Unfortunately there seems to be companies producing adapters for various combinations of lenses and mounts that have absolutely no dedication to producing a quality product. I bought a Fotodiox adapter to mount my Pentax "K" mount lenses on my Canon 7D. My still film cameras were always Pentax and I've got a collection of Pentax SMC lenses. Fotodiox's adapter is a piece of sh*t, all of my lenses wobble around in their adapter.

#3 Niall Conroy

Niall Conroy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Other
  • Ireland

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Unfortunately there seems to be companies producing adapters for various combinations of lenses and mounts that have absolutely no dedication to producing a quality product. I bought a Fotodiox adapter to mount my Pentax "K" mount lenses on my Canon 7D. My still film cameras were always Pentax and I've got a collection of Pentax SMC lenses. Fotodiox's adapter is a piece of poop, all of my lenses wobble around in their adapter.

do you reckon they under perform as a result? or do they function OK - but just dont feel mounted safely?

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

do you reckon they under perform as a result? or do they function OK - but just dont feel mounted safely?

Wide angle lenses are much more critical with respect to back focus, the distance from the back of the lens to the film plane or sensor has to be right on. As a result any wide angle shot risks going in and out of focus as the lens moves around in the adapter.

Telephoto lenses conversely are much more forgiving of back focus so an adapter that's useless on wide angles might be acceptable with a telephoto.

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post