#1 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:41 AM

How do I choose which factors to look for when buying a matte box and filters and any suggested buys?

Thanks,

Dj

#2 Shelly Johnson ASC

Shelly Johnson ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 34 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • California

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:02 AM

How do I choose which factors to look for when buying a matte box and filters and any suggested buys?

Thanks,

Dj

Hi Deejay,

When I first started buying my filters, I got some great advice. Mainly to get a complete set of 85-ND combos (that was for film... if you shoot mostly digital then maybe just a complete set of ND's), a POLA and a set of Hard Edge and Soft Edge ND grads. That was what I started with. I eventually started buying unique diffusion filters as they came about... but only in the intensities that I used... 81EF-ND's and POLA-Combos (although... again with digital, you can simplify here) and certain color grads that I use. The set grows through the years until you have more filters than you can count.

I tended to buy my correction and ND filters in Panavision 4x5.65 size, the POLA's in 138mm Round and the Grads in 6x6. I can pretty much make that work on any Matte Box and lens (with rented adapter trays if needed). There are times when the 4x5.65 size get a bit small on certain gigantic lenses, so I just rent certain filters when necessary to get the coverage I need. Having an entire set in 6x6 or both 6x6 and 4x5 would get a bit unwieldy. Although, for a while, Tiffen had a 5x6 size that was very versatile. Not sure if that size exists anymore.

Acquiring filters is a great way to start a collection and at the same time customize your photographic preferences. Also, the rental mark-up on filters is very good. They pay for themselves rather quickly... then filters begin to pay for more filters... if you follow my meaning!

#3 Zach Quatronostro

Zach Quatronostro

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

Thanks,

Dj

Well, mountability and compatibility should be a pretty big factor. I found this cool little DSLR right that lets you mount a matte box and follow focus for pretty cheap: http://www.habbycam....age_rod_kit.htm

#4 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

Well, mountability and compatibility should be a pretty big factor. I found this cool little DSLR right that lets you mount a matte box and follow focus for pretty cheap: http://www.habbycam....age_rod_kit.htm

Thanks zach, I already have a rail setup though.

Dj

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly