8 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Hong

Martin Hong
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

Recently I have began to use CFL (Compact fluorescent lamp) for my lighting gear..

Why? They are cheap, comes wit various output. Also offer different color temperatures.. But as for now all i can find in market, at least in where i live now (Argentina), are 2700k, 4000k, 6500k. Those are the common ones..
The manufacture OSRAM states that they offer the following lineup:
827 2700 K INTERNA
830 3000 K Warm White
835 3500 K White
840 4000 K Cool White
865 6500 K Cool Daylight
880 8000 K SKYWHITE

As for now i couldn't find in the market the 3000k 3500k and 8000k, otherwise they'd be very useful in some scene
Also of course, for the price you pay, you can't compare to the professional flo lighting gear like Kino flo.. etc, also you don't find 5500k CFL out there for domestic use.. I think..

This is what i think about CFL
Pro: Cheap, low power consumption, less heat, durable (longer lifetime), great light quality, high frequency, different color temperature.

Cons: less output than other lighting gear used in filmmaking. Not dimmable. Can't be switched off and on often (contents circuits in it, by doing some component can easily break)

Anyone has used them already? opinion?

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

There was a company at HD Expo or CineGear within the last few years that had a line of lighting gear based on big CFL's. IIRC, they were mogul base, and about the size of a 1000 Watt incandescent.

-- J.S.

#3 Martin Hong

Martin Hong
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:12 AM

There was a company at HD Expo or CineGear within the last few years that had a line of lighting gear based on big CFL's. IIRC, they were mogul base, and about the size of a 1000 Watt incandescent.

-- J.S.

That's what i used, mogul base socket, the one i got was 105watt=500w traditional bulb. But never seen 1000 watt one..But if i use 2 of those it could offer 1000w equivalent of output power. They are all homemade of course, mounted to a softbox.. later i will show a picture..

#4 Nathan Blair

Nathan Blair
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

This is what i think about CFL
Pro: Cheap, low power consumption, less heat, durable (longer lifetime), great light quality, high frequency, different color temperature.

Cons: less output than other lighting gear used in filmmaking. Not dimmable. Can't be switched off and on often (contents circuits in it, by doing some component can easily break)

Anyone has used them already? opinion?

Another con is that there is a "green spike" in the color spectrum. I recently shot a short using CFL's in a scene that I wanted to look gritty anyway so I wasn't too concerned about this. The slight green is very subtle, but noticeable when placed in juxtaposition with tungsten, or properly balanced sources.

Because of this I would advise implementing some minus green to your CFL light rigs whenever possible.

#5 Martin Hong

Martin Hong
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

Another con is that there is a "green spike" in the color spectrum. I recently shot a short using CFL's in a scene that I wanted to look gritty anyway so I wasn't too concerned about this. The slight green is very subtle, but noticeable when placed in juxtaposition with tungsten, or properly balanced sources.

Because of this I would advise implementing some minus green to your CFL light rigs whenever possible.

Thanks for the advice! haven't noticed that yet. I should use gel?

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

Try it. It depends what you're trying to match, and what you're trying to match it to. Every CFL is different, and every "daylight" is different.

Carry some 1/8 plus and minus green. Often it really is necessary to be that subtle. I've seen plenty of "daylight" fluorescent tubes that looked magenta because they'd overcooked the minus green correction in the phosphor mix. You absolutely can't tell in an isolated situation, but by comparison, and through the lens, you can.

P

#7 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:56 AM

Looking at the CFL lamps at HomeDespot, I see that they have a range of color temps (Tungsten to almost daylight), but the CRI isn't listed on the package. Would be interested in them as a substitute for photo floods in china balls, but with no CRI information, I'll pass.

#8 Terry Lasater

Terry Lasater

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:01 AM

Here are a few CFLs with good CRI rating:

http://www.coollight...bs-c-26_33.html

#9 Martin Hong

Martin Hong
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

Here are a few CFLs with good CRI rating:

http://www.coollight...bs-c-26_33.html

Nice data, thanks. They offer 5600k bulb for a reasonable price

and attached a pic of the sofbox with a 6500 105w bulb
cant remember what was the white balance setting, but you can see its bluish...

Posted Image

Edited by Martin Hong, 03 October 2011 - 01:09 PM.

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineTape