• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frank DiBugnara

Frank DiBugnara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

I'm prepping a 5D and using a camera body I've never used before. I'm monitoring HDMI from the camera to a monitor I've used many times with other 5D bodies. Even though the camera is not rolling, I'm getting an SD signal postage-stamp on this monitor. The camera is set to 1080 24.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I'm wondering if true 1080 preview monitoring was part of a firmware update somewhere along the way?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'm prepping a 5D and using a camera body I've never used before. I'm monitoring HDMI from the camera to a monitor I've used many times with other 5D bodies. Even though the camera is not rolling, I'm getting an SD signal postage-stamp on this monitor. The camera is set to 1080 24.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I'm wondering if true 1080 preview monitoring was part of a firmware update somewhere along the way?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've read that the 5D outputs SD when recording video. Have a look around http://hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/ for a more authoritative answer.

#3 Ian Hedley Wakefield

Ian Hedley Wakefield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Director
  • New Zealand

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

I've read that the 5D outputs SD when recording video.

All the Canon DSLRs output a SD signal via HDMI when recording except the 7D and possibly the 1D.

There's not much you can do about it. Not sure if the Magic Lantern hack/update fixes this.

#4 Jean Dodge

Jean Dodge
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Looks like no one really read your problem, much less had a good answer. What firmware was the camera running? In standby mode you should have been able to see an HD image in the monitor. Yes, the resolution drops to SD when the camera records... but it should send a better picture in preview mode.

If you ever figured it all out, please let us know. This sounds like a frustrating problem.

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc