1 reply to this topic

#1 Mark Sperry

Mark Sperry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

I'm using a Bolex for reportagé style work. There is no lighting, or even light modifying. I have a Gossen Digisky meter that has a great cine mode, with incident and reflected measurements (but no spot). I'm wondering though what would be the best route or techniques for metering in available light? Should I be taking an average reading of the scene with the reflected meter or should I be taking incident measurements when ever possible? My background is mostly photography which is a little bit different and I use the zone system a lot, or with internal camera meters which average the frame when I'm shooting fast. But with the Bolex I don't want to wast film. I find myself not entirely trusting the reflected measurements for some reason.

What is the popular technique for available light shooting with a hand held light meter? Also is it possible or advisable to use a digital camera, take a shot using the same shutter speed and ISO as my Bolex and film and use that to measure the scene?

I wasn't totally sure which thread this belongs in so feel free to move it...

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7375 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

I find Incident readings are always the most useful. I'll meter the Key and then the fill, and sometimes other areas of the room which interest me (dark spots/bright spots) and park exposure where it belongs based on that.
I'd not use a DSLR as a meter. I use them often as a quick reference, but they're not light meter in my opinion.
In truth, metering for film isn't much different than metering for a still; you get an idea of what the light is like, and then expose based on how you want that light to read.

Glidecam

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Technodolly