Photo

But Jim, what about my Mars Leather sunglasses parts?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:52 AM

Several years ago after searching a very long time for the best sunglasses on earth, and tiring of the old, heavy Julbo Expedition/Glacier sunglasses I had, a friend sent me a link to what I had been searching for, for so long. It was to a photo of Oakley's Mars Leather series and I knew they were "it". I saved up a lot more than anyone would normally spend on sunglasses and felt good about spending it when the day came. I was right, they fit perfectly and the lens quality was perfect. I knew I would have them for years. They were, for sure, the best (and still are I think).

Though not so long after buying them, I took them to one of the dealers to ask about new lenses since they scratch fairly easy. The dealer basically laughed, saying they were "ancient" and he could not get lenses or rubber for them anymore. Eventually I ended up with unknown brand lenses off ebay which I question. I've ended up with no rubber, other than half of one of the ear pieces. It's been several years now but I am still trying to keep them alive. I finally found some of those little metal C clips for the lens frame, which I had done without for 2 years at least.

My Aaton, which I had up until about a year ago, could still be serviced and it was built in 1983 I believe. A friend's Arri was made about the same time and his parts are still on shelves too. Your first camera might now be becoming outdated/bulky but is being replaced by something better and I respect the work you have done on getting up to this new level, but what about service 5 years from now for those who don't care that it's outdated? Longer than 5 years? How long will the new Epic's be serviceable for? Will some ass laugh when someone needs a new part some years from now, even if the new camera is "30K" and the size of an iPhone?

I'm just curious how you guys plan to handle this. I already know how Arri and Aaton do.

Oh and do you know anyone who has real Mars parts stored away somewhere!?

#2 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

Just heard about the legal troubles so I'd guess things are a little too busy to bother with replies for now. Good luck and I hope it doesn't pull people down too much.

#3 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

Oh I see, based on the "Keith crap" above, someone apparently has to say something more negative to get a response. Interesting.

I guess I'll hold off finalizing my advice to a production associate about what to buy for his company (who is/were die-hard Sony users). I, at first, suggested to wait to see what Canon is going to announce but then thought that the Epic might be the best deal and if he can afford it, should just go for it. Without some idea of how long that big purchase will be good for, in parts support at least, I'll suggest waiting now.

And too bad about my glasses, they WERE the sh*t!

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Opal

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS