Photo

Do you like technical stuff or emotional stuff?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

Do you like working on features, industrials, commercials, multimedia presentations because you like the content, or do you like working on media because you like being aropund cameras?

Do you get more pleasure out of working on films and being around the crew, lights, lenses, magazinesm, c-stands, green-screen, gels, dollies/track, or do you get more pleasure out of watching what you helped create the day before when watching dailies?

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:43 AM

Being around the crew etc is great, but if you're not creating something that has some sort of quality about it you don't get a sense of longer term satisfaction about what you're doing. That's not to say you can't have a great time working on a film that is poor, but the people working on it were enjoyable to be with or you have a terrible time on a film that turns out great.

#3 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1404 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:02 AM

I’d like to state that technical work is as creative as the so-called creative. Any division of human work into higher and only “mechanical” labour is as obsolete as Karl Marx was a fool. I think it’s about time everybody gets acquainted with this small fraction of humanism, that we are in-divi-duals.

How could a 2nd camera assistant be happy in life or a copyist in the darkroom having the consciousness of being a donkey?

Can I convey to you how satisfied I can be with having some dozen takes put into synch? I find it also rewarding to hear a positive opinion about some lighting I’ve done. Most of it was muscles and black hands.

#4 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I like all types of media, commercials, music videos, especially films, I like the good stuff though. But whatever is considered good is really subjective, so I guess I like what I consider good and I like trying to make what I consider good, it might not be seen that way from someone else, but I guess just the satisfaction of doing it is enough. I also enjoy technology too, I don't think I could do it happily without enjoying technology. But there is something about photography that0 is ever more fascinating than technology, perhaps because it's ever changing, ever evolving, constantly forcing you to adapt to different situations rather than the same old thing. I would put it in the way that a job in the film industry isn't like an ordinary job as well, perhaps that's why so many people want to be in it.

Something about the stress of a film set makes me feel strangely comfortable too.

#5 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:23 AM

Interesting.

Nearly all of the crews I've ever worked with have been great. I can only recall one really bad experience, and that was a bikini contest many years back. A lot of it had to do with the fact that there had been a death in the family some weeks before, but the project itself had a lot of BS.

I own't badmouth the client (Ujena "international"), because they had their own set of issues but were otherwise professionally run, but the crew I was with, for some reason, didn't like each other. I couldn't figure it out. You simply don't work like that. Or if you don't like someone, you don't let it effect your professionalism. If someone asks you to grab a backpack full of betacam stock, you do it.

I like everything about media. Out of high school, when I first started in the industry, one of my first jobs was being an assistant to a crane/dolly operator. During some down time when most of the crew were changing the setup, the DP asked me to push the Chapman around for some cutaways.

It was a real thrill seeing my moves being used in next day's dailies. It was like I had become part of the creative team. Good memories.

#6 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Anyone else?

#7 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

Anyone else?

No one else.... I got 159 views, and no one else has a reply?

*EDIT*
A sample of what I'm talking about; http://community.ova...4995/16878.html

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Willys Widgets