Jaxson McLennan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hi there,
Shooting on 16mm for the first time in a few weeks and I've gotten some tips from a friend of mine who is a professional DP I really respect. We're shooting a bright, sunny day inside and outside of a car. We're using vision3 250D. The biggest issue I have is the DP friend of mine suggested we rate it at 160 for the finer grain structure. Afaik, this involves exposing the film as if it were 160 film and then pulling the exposure in the lab. My cinematography teacher, however, warned me not to attempt this on my first time. Considering the latitude of film, I don't see the major harm and I'd rather take the small risk if it will lead to a much greater image quality. On the other hand, if it won't give that much of an image boost I'd rather expose normally, especially as the director will have a video split and id like to let him see more of what's going on than explining the whole process, but if it means better image quality and finer grain structure then I'll have the conversation with him.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

You don't pull in the lab necessarily. What you'd normally do is rate as 160 so as to get more shadow detail (as film has more "room" on the highlights) and then once it's scanned, you can choose to crush down shadows. This also has the effect of "filling in," the smaller, less sensitive, grains between the larger grains which leads to a perception of less granularity overall.
I see no reason not to expose for 160, it's pretty common practice. Though, by the same token, you'd also be fine at 250.

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products

CineLab

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Glidecam