3 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Van Gorder

Derek Van Gorder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

I acquired a used ACL from ebay. It's definitely a little beat-up, but is in working order.

This is my first 16mm camera, and I'm spending time trying to learn the basics and how to load it properly. I definitely will be getting it properly serviced by a technician before using it on any production.

I ran one trash roll through it. Seems to be working OK, and I don't see any timing problems, but it makes a repeating scraping sound while running. I couldn't quite figure out which part was causing the sound. I recorded a video of it running:

View on Vimeo
(password = eclair)

Any thoughts on what's causing this? Maybe I just haven't loaded it properly? I wanted to shoot a test roll or two before sending it out, but if you think I risk damaging the camera by running it like this, I could just get it serviced right away.

Thanks.

#2 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hi Derek,

Sounds like the feed side core adaptor plate is bent. Open up the feed-side door and watch the film in motion. It's probably probably being rubbed by the bent portion of the adaptor plate while in motion.
Could also be the take-up side.
Solution is to patiently unbend the plate by hand. Try flipping the feed-side plate to the take-up side to see if it helps.
Good Luck,

Bernie

#3 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hi Derek,

Sounds like the feed side core adaptor plate is bent. Open up the feed-side door and watch the film in motion. It's probably probably being rubbed by the bent portion of the adaptor plate while in motion.
Could also be the take-up side.
Solution is to patiently unbend the plate by hand. Try flipping the feed-side plate to the take-up side to see if it helps.
Good Luck,

Bernie

If that's the case, then if the ACL mag is like the NPR, you can remove the spool adapter plate and put a daylight spool in the magazine instead. If you're able to do that and the noise stops then it confirms the adapter must be what's rubbing.

#4 Derek Van Gorder

Derek Van Gorder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thanks, Bernie & Ian! I'll give it a try.

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

The Slider

CineLab