#1 Franco Bogino

Franco Bogino

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

There is a weird thing going on where the edges of picture are in focus, but as you move to the centre of picture if becomes slightly soft. The soft area is circular, with a diameter of perhaps 5-6mm, with softness decreasing as you reach the outer edge of the circle.
It also appears that the amount of softness changes as the focus point changes. I know collimation can be a problem in these old cameras, but does this sound like a collimation issue?
The inbuilt filters have been removed (by a previous owner), which I understand can affect back focus. I have checked by running the camera with the lens off and then cutting the power; the path through the film gate is clear, with no filters, though I am not sure how to activate the wratten 85 filter as certain cartriges would, so I'm not sure how to check that this has also been removed.

I also found this article about collimation

http://lavender.fort...ollimation.html

has anyone else used it? Is it any good?

Thanks

Franco

#2 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

This sounds more like a problem with the lens itself. Have you removed the lens and examined it critically using a small maglight to check for fungus or some other lens deterioration problem? There could be some kind of lens or coating damage or grease on a lens surface deep inside this multioptics lens. A severe off-collimation problem would be across the frame, not just in a small area as you mention. Rule out an optical problem with the lens first before considering collimation. Try another lens if available, even any decent C-mount lens and check for a similar problem.

#3 Bjorn Andersson

Bjorn Andersson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

This looks more like a camera body "problem". As a "optical" part in camera body(internal filters)is missing, the back focus is most probably out for the lens, if´t hasn´t been readjusted after that this internal filter has been removed. The lens focus at about 0.05mm before filmplane.

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly