13 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Sorry posting multiple threads, but does anyone know of a good screenwriting website? There's tons out there, but I'm looking for something reputable that anyone here has used or visited.

Thanks.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Are you looking for free scripts or sites that are about scriptwriting?

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

From my experience, the absolute hands-down BEST is www.wordplayer.com . I promise you, read EVERY article listed and you won't be disappointed.

If you're looking for more after you read through that site, I have many listed here: http://realfilmcaree....php?topic=12.0

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

More BBC centred: http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/

#5 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually stupid enough to think that I have a shot at getting back into media in some way by shooting my own s**t, and have been looking for a website that critiques screenplays by other credible screenplay artists.

I'll give those a shot. Thanks.

#6 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

and have been looking for a website that critiques screenplays by other credible screenplay artists.

Well sounds more like you want a coverage report then. You usually pay to have it read and assessed by a "pro." I always use, http://www.screenplaycoverage.com, best value for the money in my book.

As a side note, I constantly have writers trying to hand me their scripts. I always tell them to get a coverage report from this service first and it needs to score at min a "consider." The response is always the same.....I don't want to spend $150.00 for that!!

I am always amazed that people will invest a year of their life writing a script, and then not want to spend a lousy 150 bucks to see if anyone besides them thinks it's any good or not.

R,

#7 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

Well sounds more like you want a coverage report then. You usually pay to have it read and assessed by a "pro." I always use, http://www.screenplaycoverage.com, best value for the money in my book.

As a side note, I constantly have writers trying to hand me their scripts. I always tell them to get a coverage report from this service first and it needs to score at min a "consider." The response is always the same.....I don't want to spend $150.00 for that!!

I am always amazed that people will invest a year of their life writing a script, and then not want to spend a lousy 150 bucks to see if anyone besides them thinks it's any good or not.

R,

That place sounds great!
I never even knew such places still existed.

The truth is, since every man and his dog and 2.4 children has gotten access to word processors, book publishers and anybody else people imagine might be conceivably interested in a freelance submission have been buried under an avalanche of absolute crap.

In the old days when all you had was you grandmother's old Remington Noiseless and a sheaf of typing paper, the sheer volume of physical work involved in manuscript submission tended to deter all but the most determined punters. The inept writers tended to get quickly weeded out by the short story market.

I know scripts are just as bad (I've seen enough excruciatingly bad ones from people trying to cadge "freebie" rentals) so I wonder if they don't have some way of aborting the process if the first paragraph of the script turns out to be unreadable junk.

I wonder if there's anything like that around here, particularly the live reading thing. I can do foreign accents; in fact I almost landed a role as an American in a Pfizer commercial for incontinence tablets. (American advertisers often prefer foreigners doing Yank accents because it sounds regionally "neutral". So the theory goes anyway).

The reading went OK, but they said I didn't just look old enough to need the product...

#8 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:23 AM

I know of one producer who'd read 400 scripts and none of them were suitable for taking further.

The guy in charge of British Screen (They used to be involved in UK script development) reckoned 1 in 200 of otherwise well written scripts had that something.

#9 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

I know of one producer who'd read 400 scripts and none of them were suitable for taking further.

The guy in charge of British Screen (They used to be involved in UK script development) reckoned 1 in 200 of otherwise well written scripts had that something.

Cool, thanks.

#10 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:06 AM

Cool, thanks.

Write the treatments first, perhaps less work (nearly) than doing a first draft, but a lot of the important stuff has been done.

#11 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

scriptsecrets.net

#12 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Or you just make the damn thing yourself. Even a greenlit script at a Hollywood studio will have been re-written so many times by so many people, that it won't even be recognizable from the first draft to the shooting script.

Then again, if people get paid they usually don't care.

R,

#13 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

Or you just make the damn thing yourself. Even a greenlit script at a Hollywood studio will have been re-written so many times by so many people, that it won't even be recognizable from the first draft to the shooting script.

R,

That's kind of the idea, but I want to make sure that what I'm writing is good and translatable to imagery.

#14 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

R,

http://www.theonion....riter-of,20188/ :)

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc