#1 Rock Richardson

Rock Richardson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I am filming a short, the scene involves four people sitting around a small table talking to each other. any suggestions on how to film this scenario? I am having them sit relatively close and using a small table, its a breakfast scene. I got the OTS shots its trying to get all of them together. is it ok to have one them with their back to the camera ?

Thanks
Rock

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Yes, you can have some one with their back to the camera. It really depends how you want to cover it, do you want to cut it or do you want to cover it with camera moves? How you do this will depend on the dynamics of the scene, there are no set rules other than maintaining a sense of the geography during the exchanges. You have to let the action and the actors drive how you cover it, I'm sure there's more going on within the conversations than just talking. If there's no conflict, tension or struggle between the characters you'll have question the scene actaully being there. You have allow the interactions within the script drive everything. Sorry, no simple answers.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Have a look at the scene in "Hannah and Her Sisters" where the three sisters are having lunch in a restaurant. It was done with circular track, shot by Carlo Di Palma, and with Zen focus pulling by Doug Hart,

The shot looks like the track went all the way around but Doug told me there was a wall on one side of the table that prevented a full 360 degree dolly.

#4 Ron Varga

Ron Varga

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

I am filming a short, the scene involves four people sitting around a small table talking to each other. any suggestions on how to film this scenario? I am having them sit relatively close and using a small table, its a breakfast scene. I got the OTS shots its trying to get all of them together. is it ok to have one them with their back to the camera ?

Thanks
Rock

2-45 Degree tracks would help, but if not set your camera up with a two shot in pairs on sticks (suggestion).

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Opal

CineLab

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio