brad breeck

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi everybody,

I am shooting a short that involves several sequences where 4 kids on BMx bikes are chasing another kid on a BMX bike. The chase occurs at night on residential streets.

The streets we have scouted are pretty brightly lit with street lights already (I attached a photo). And we'll be shooting with fast primes on the 5DmkII, so we can get away with a lot.

The bike chase scenes in 'Attack the Block' are a good model for how we would love it to look... in our dreams. Also, John Carpenter, ala 'Escape From NY', etc...

The bike chase scene near the end of E.T. is a good idea of the feel/energy we're after -- the camera moving with the bikes, etc...

The budget doesn't afford us the luxury of shooting permitted, so it will be a run and gun affair. Since we're in Los Angeles, this will be no doubt be tricky.

Any ideas on how to approach lighting this?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by brad breeck, 23 September 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#2 Aaron Moorhead

Aaron Moorhead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

I think that you should just embrace what you have! Keep some fast lenses on you, and focus on your camerawork. It could be really useful to have a 1x1 or brick-style LitePanel, but that might attract more attention -- it is a beacon, after all. Good luck!

#3 brad breeck

brad breeck

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:58 AM

I think that you should just embrace what you have! Keep some fast lenses on you, and focus on your camerawork. It could be really useful to have a 1x1 or brick-style LitePanel, but that might attract more attention -- it is a beacon, after all. Good luck!

Thanks Aaron :)

#4 Ron Varga

Ron Varga

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi everybody,

I am shooting a short that involves several sequences where 4 kids on BMx bikes are chasing another kid on a BMX bike. The chase occurs at night on residential streets.

The streets we have scouted are pretty brightly lit with street lights already (I attached a photo). And we'll be shooting with fast primes on the 5DmkII, so we can get away with a lot.

The bike chase scenes in 'Attack the Block' are a good model for how we would love it to look... in our dreams. Also, John Carpenter, ala 'Escape From NY', etc...

The bike chase scene near the end of E.T. is a good idea of the feel/energy we're after -- the camera moving with the bikes, etc...

The budget doesn't afford us the luxury of shooting permitted, so it will be a run and gun affair. Since we're in Los Angeles, this will be no doubt be tricky.

Any ideas on how to approach lighting this?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have wide latitude on the camera so you'll have the flexibilty needed. The real trick is to get some people on radios and have them posted around the area your shooting. They can call out if a vehical or cop car is approaching. Since your actors are on bikes, the can dip out really fast and then radio when the coast is clear.

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc