1 reply to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

She's working her way through College, starring Ronald Reagen and Virginia Mayo, looks so spectacular on my 12 year old CRT television it's kind of mind boggling. I thought the red gun on my television was not working properly, yet whenever a show comes on that was shot on film, the image ALWAYS looks much much better than an HD or video originated footage does.

Even though I think my CRT needs adjustment, the quality of She's working her way through College looks so perfect I am now wondering if there is something going on in HD and video originated footage that does not translate well in the new age of digital compression, especially to a CRT.

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

She's working her way through College, starring Ronald Reagen and Virginia Mayo, looks so spectacular on my 12 year old CRT television it's kind of mind boggling. I thought the red gun on my television was not working properly, yet whenever a show comes on that was shot on film, the image ALWAYS looks much much better than an HD or video originated footage does.

Even though I think my CRT needs adjustment, the quality of She's working her way through College looks so perfect I am now wondering if there is something going on in HD and video originated footage that does not translate well in the new age of digital compression, especially to a CRT.

I'm not sure, but I do know that many films look waaaay better on a crt than on an lcd panel. In fact I freaked out when I first saw one of my films on an lcd panel and spent hours trying to fix it, in post, yet stopped worrying when I saw it projected.

Panels definitely seem to prefer video over film to some extent.

love

Freya

Visual Products

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC