• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Looks like Ontario's tax credit system is set to make Toronto the number 2 production spot once again.

Now all we have to do is lure more shoots away from LA, and we will finally be number 1!

Shouldn't be too hard as US states run out of money to fund their tax credits:

http://www.thestar.c...s-film-industry

R,

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

Looks like Ontario's tax credit system is set to make Toronto the number 2 production spot once again.

Now all we have to do is lure more shoots away from LA, and we will finally be number 1!

Shouldn't be too hard as US states run out of money to fund their tax credits:

http://www.thestar.c...s-film-industry

R,

LA? You mean Georgia and Louisiana. The Tax Bribery system has already all but decimated the way of life for thousands of people who used to rely on the industry that they worked so hard for. But I suppose it's good that Canada is so willing to hand their cash over to US Corporations that will just take the cash and profits back home to LA. I wonder how long it'll take for Canada to realize that they are funneling real money that their provinces could use into the personal bank accounts of United States citizens who don't give two-shits about Canada, its economy, or its people. Once they've sucked Canada dry (not the ginger ale!), they'll just move on to another gullible bunch. B)

#3 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

LA? You mean Georgia and Louisiana. The Tax Bribery system has already all but decimated the way of life for thousands of people who used to rely on the industry that they worked so hard for. But I suppose it's good that Canada is so willing to hand their cash over to US Corporations that will just take the cash and profits back home to LA. I wonder how long it'll take for Canada to realize that they are funneling real money that their provinces could use into the personal bank accounts of United States citizens who don't give two-shits about Canada, its economy, or its people. Once they've sucked Canada dry (not the ginger ale!), they'll just move on to another gullible bunch. B)

Yeah, Canada is on top of it's game. This is a really smart move. They'll make some real money. Smart fellows involved.

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Once they've sucked Canada dry (not the ginger ale!), they'll just move on to another gullible bunch. B)

NZ

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

who don't give two-shits about Canada, its economy, or its people.

So long as we're making money.....I don't care. :)

Did you read the entire article?

"Monty Montgomerie, business manager for IATSE local 873, which represents film industry workers, says the movie will have paid its members a significant $25 million in wages alone "

25 million to IATSE members alone, holy smokes! And guess what, since Canada is a high tax jurisdiction the government will have collected back half of that 25 million in taxes.

As for Hollywood moving on after they've sucked us dry, that won't happen. The tax credit system will never be dismantled here, like it has in many US states. Governments here don't change major policies on a whim like they do in the US.

Besides, I can guarantee you that ALL of the dept heads on this shoot where from the USA. Canadians are never hired for those jobs.

I thought Arnold Schwarzenegger was going to stop "runaway" production to Canada. Ooops I guess he could not fit it into his busy schedule what with fooling around with the help and all.

R,

#6 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

This might be part of the reason the Canadian tax credit system will remain healthy. :D

http://www.forbes.co...s-for-business/

One other huge benefit Canada offers is that US producers do not have to pay these ridiculous healthcare premiums to the unions. Since all of the workers already have healthcare coverage. I was a bit incensed that I had to pay union healthcare premiums for the two US members of The Dogfather crew. I mean good grief, it's so ridiculous, get a proper bloody healthcare system in place already!!

R,

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera