Photo

angenieux 12-120 zooms. are they relevant?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steve waschka

steve waschka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

is the angenieux 12-120 relevant to todays cinematography or are they just too old of technology? ive got two. one on a bolex. and one on an arri. both of them have focal plane shift or fall-off at the non-perf edge of the frame. now i know, from calibrating the one for the bolex, there is a group that is centered with grub screws in the center of the barrel. so its position is adjustable. i did some adjustment by eye, and thought from reviewing the films that it helped. also the reflex viewfinder for that lens does not always seat perfect. i think it also is important to be very very certain its tight and flush. i back burnered going back in the thing because i wasnt using the bolex at the time. now i've got this blimped angenieux on the bl and its doing the same thing. maybe it has always done it, but it slid off the box at a soccer match last weekend. and as i reviewed the films it seems just as bad as i remember the bolex footage. maybe the bayo mount was knocked off kilter. the thing that makes this even more of a problem is i was planning to open the gate up a little on both of those cameras on the non-perf side. not to super 16, but just so i can reduce the side bars on hd tv and not have to zoom in on the telecine. so my question is simply has anyone made this lens work properly on these cameras? or are we all just doing different voodoo chants hoping for sharp edges with these things. i know there are a ton of lenses for the arri. what the heck am i going to put on a bolex h5? dont say berthiot. ive got plenty of em. ill sell you one.

#2 steve waschka

steve waschka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

i should add that through the bolex (which is an m5 not h5... sorry) i can see the problem through a critical focus prism on the gate. i cant fit that tool to the arri gate. through the arri viewfinder all seems fine now. all i have done is refit the lens. i did not notice the prob as i was shooting. but i have a tv mask on the arri, and it has those ground glass edges blurring the sides anyways.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks