Brian McCormick

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hi all,

So, I have always been taught, of course, to use an 85 filter when shooting tungsten balanced film in daylight, giving proper color correction and also cutting down on light slightly to allow for less depth of field.

But recently I was reading Emmanuel's notes regarding his experience shooting Tree of LIfe, and he notes that he shot 200t and 500t in daylight with no filter because he feels that the filter "homogenizes" the complex color and so he prefers to do the correction in the timing. I find this a bit confusing, because to shoot without the filter would cause a blue cast over the image, and isn't that in a sense "homogenizing" the color?

Can anyone speak to this? I'm shooting my thesis on eterna vivid 160t 16mm and I will be doing extensive color in post. Is it dangerous to shoot without the filter with no prior experience having tried it? Does anyone harbor the same feelings of the filter as Emmanuel?

Thanks,
Brian

Edited by Brian McCormick, 05 October 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

I wouldn't say it's dangerous really. It just makes things blue. Which could result on over-exposing just the blue layer in the film, but this is kinda unlikely.
That all being said, I feel almost, like filters are a personal choice. Some DoPs prefer to correct in post, some prefer to correct in camera. I think you need to formulate your own opinion on it, rationalized however you like. The only way to do that is, of course, to try it both ways and see which one you like more (perhaps on this shoot, using an 85 for the most part, but also rolling a few frames w/o it, or "forgetting it" on a throw away shot. See if you can correct it, see how the corrected -v- filtered image look).
For myself, I don't use an 85 outside, normally. Instead, I generally will reach for an 81EF. It's 1/2 correction so it gives me a little wiggle room later on to either go all the way to proper balance, or take it out entierly, or-- and this is the most likely, leave it still slightly cool. But that's personal preference, and I think, at least, it is such preferences which make the DoP-- we need to forge our own "styles," though I hate to use the word.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Opal