#21 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

While I am a user and advocate of NLE over workprinting and film editing, I'd hardly call it a "revolutionary" accomplishment. I'd be just as happy wee timecodes and bouncing tape still the norm.

I'm sure someone would've come up with a frame-accurate analog tape format were there demand for it.

CGI I would classify as harmful to the field of filmmaking at this point. There is no need for entire motion pictures to go through the process. The arts of matte painting, modelmaking, motion control photography are all endangered, which is ironic because they still produce in my opinion, a superior product.

Yet everyone cares now about budget and ease-of-use.

At work, I use a 1970s "computer control" timer and a 1980s densitometer with no problems whatsoever. I have the high-tech problems of blown lightbulbs and power outages to deal with. I would like a better timer, but other than that, no complaints.

I've noticed that the big names in Silicon Valley get all the credit that is due the little people, or stolen, acquired, or dubiously obtained through shady business deals. So jobs was more like a director or an A-list actor in terms of his actual contributions.

#22 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3011 posts
  • Other
  • Europe

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

I've noticed that the big names in Silicon Valley get all the credit that is due the little people, or stolen, acquired, or dubiously obtained through shady business deals. So jobs was more like a director or an A-list actor in terms of his actual contributions.

Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were no saints that's for sure. Theres definitely some truth to what you say here. It's interesting that a fructarian could acquire so much bad Karma! He has paid for it tho.

Apple played an important role most of all by providing the only competition that Microsoft had for a long time in the computer industry. It's good to have another option and Apple pushed forward the development of computers across the board through this. So much so that when Apple was in serious danger of going under it was Microsoft that bailed them out! (So it is the case that some of that money going to charitable causes comes from Apple!) It would have looked preety bad if microsofts only commercial competitor of the time went under!

I'm sure Mr Jobs had some character flaws. I feel we all do (except those of us who are perfect of course!) ;)

Heres a different view on a guy, perhaps older and wiser and a bit less bitter about things.
I feel he has a lot of worthwhile things to say here so do check this out:

love

Freya

#23 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

Tom: I guess I owe you an apology.

I'd rather have $5.00. Is that O.K?;)

#24 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1014 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Karl, must you always be so cynical? You should know in this business that you never know who ones knows or have met. Hero worship? I can't remember him doing anything I would consider heroic. Admiration for his drive and accomplishments, absolutely. I'm curious as to how his contribution were detrimental to your field. Mac's have played a very significant part in animation, post production and production. I would say they have helped your field more than they have hurt it. If anything has hurt film, it's obsolescence.

In all fairness a lot of the devices were imagined and thought out decades before Jobs brought them into being. Jobs had the wherewithal for timing, and, unlike the rest of us, knew that his engineers and the R&D boys at Intel, Sanyo and other chip makers, could get those whiz-bang devices from comic books and declassified R&D circles from the 50s into being.

The things he "created" were bound to happen regardless of whoever had the capitol to bring the elements together. Back in the 70s it was Chevron, of all companies, that was leading Internet research, which Ma Bell had already conjured in the 1930s. And miniaturization of communications was already planned out. But nobody had the financial legs to bring it to the masses.

Steve Jobs, for all his worth, was at the right place at the right time with the right resources to bring that stuff to the consumer. I didn't know the man personally, and I don't think I'd take away from his part in bringing those technologies to us, but he wasn't the one-man renaissance wizard that people are making him out to be.

A respectable guy all the same, and I'm glad he did help bring all that technology to us.

The Slider

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Sound and Picture

Visual Products

K5600 Lighting

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

Zylight