3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

In February I shot a Straight8 short film with the amazing Nikon R10. It was the very first Super8 work I tackled. Because our second shot was messed up, we ditched the 500t cartridge we had and started over with the only other film stock we had handy, Tri-X reversal, not knowing if it would be okay at low light NYC subway settings.

Amazingly enough, it was more than up to the task.

While the film was difficult to shoot, it was a massive learning experience. The film, TRAPPED, was shown at the Rushes Soho Short Film festival in London July 26th.

Unfortunately, the experience with Straight8 since that time has not been positive. I do not have my film rolls back from the two Straight8 shorts I submitted, nor do I have the DVD's I paid for. This transfer was downloaded from their server after much complaining.

As of the writing of this post, I am STILL waiting for my materials to be returned to me and am hoping that the Straight8 people are yanking my chain. It is highly likely that one of the two films is lost forever, as the package with the roll of film was never delivered. I will explain why another time.

Anyway, watch and feel free to comment, as long as it is constructive. B)

http://vimeo.com/30138459

P.S. Credits were added to the end of this transfer to give credit where credit is due.

#2 Justin W. King

Justin W. King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York, NY

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

This is really cool. Did you edit in camera? What type of light did you use in the subway? Was it a Mirror?

I hope you can recover some of your other footage.

#3 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

Yes, we shot in sequence (edited in camera). It was INSANE! Exhausting is a good way to describe the shoot. We finished the last subway shot around 2:30 AM and it took us 90 minutes to get to my place to sleep, so we were shot. When we got up we got the last shot.

We had a small LED panel that was sometimes mounted at the top of my Nikon R10, but it was only used when we felt that we were in danger of having an underexposed image. In the end we used it for maybe four shots. Tri-X is amazing at low levels of light if you have a decently fast lens.

When the light was not mounted on the camera, a Canon G10 was, which we used to record the shoot (as a guide for editing). For the shots where the LED was on the Nikon, someone stood right behind me, recording with the G10.

So far it looks like the actual super8 roll for this and for our other straight8 entry are gone forever, supposedly lost in the mail. I say supposedly because I have to take them at their word for everything.

What is extremely disturbing is that I paid them the extra $70 or so dollars for an official DVD of TRAPPED and it has never arrived and no refund seems to be coming my way. I really feel ripped off. That is a lot of money.

They say they have entered me into the straight8 2012 for free and have sent me a roll, but again... where is it?

I hope like hell this all gets taken care of because it leaves such a bad taste in mouth over what should have been nothing but a positive learning experience.

#4 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

UPDATE: The package from straight8 arrived. The Postal Service lost it, then found it and delivered. So Straight8 made good. Yes, the first package containing my other straight8 is still missing and it is their fault that they sent it to the wrong address. But no doubt the postal service is 100% responsible for the muck up with package #2. Idiots!

I'm going to just say that sometimes bad luck happens. meanwhile, 2012 straight8 is on. I'm doing it.

The Slider

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Visual Products

CineTape

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Opal