#1 Tristan Harris

Tristan Harris

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hello all This is my first time ever on a Cinematography forum I am a complete newbie that needs as much info as possible. I am looking to pick each and everyone's brain on this forum for knowledge. A little about my back ground first up is that I am 28 years of age. I live in Queensland Australia. I have a partner and two children under three. I have always been a film buff, leaning most of my time towards horror an science fiction. I am an installer by trade and a visual artist. I have been into photography for some years. In the last month I have bought a canon 5D to replace my 450D as I would like to come across to the filming side of things. So basically I'm after very basic info to start me off. settings, programs, tips n tricks anything to get me started I have been on you tube watching as much as I can and reading as much as possible to. thanks and nice to meet you all. I'm looking forward to chatting to everyone and sharing some of my video once I get into it. any more info you need from me don't hesitate to ask.

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

Welcome from NZ ;)

Lots of helpful people here -

hints:

~ just go out and give it a go Posted Image

~ get specific for best results - cut down on variables - both here on this site and behind your camera...

Of course freewheeling is fine too, but your mileage will vary

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

When free-wheeling, try to take notes or at least remember what you did (in-case things go right as well as wrong). Welcome.

#4 Tristan Harris

Tristan Harris

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Awesome cheers thanks for the replys. I was also wondering with my 5D settings as well, I have 1920x1080@25, 1920x1080@24 just wondering if there is a big difference and if so which is better for editing and the over all look of it,there is also 640x480, Im using sony vegas pro 10 at the moment as I don't have a 64 bit system to run prem, Im also new to this program but seem to be picking it up pretty quick with my knowledge of lightroom/photoshop using the video FX and what not. My other big question if anyone else owns vegas is the actual set up of the properties menu, like what is template is it the preview window size and if so should I match it to the 5d size, HD1920x1080 etc??. but it also has a framerate drop down box and is that also the preview??. or does this all depend on what my system can handle because im getting a lot of tearing in preview or is this due to my settings in program?? any info on what my settings should be on the 5D that match up with Vegas setting so i can get the best outcome would be much appreciated

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

24 or 25 is generally dictated by country of origin. Here in the states, we're 24, for you'all it's 25. Just a standard, so long as you shoot and project at the same speed, you'll not hit any issues. Can't speak for Vegas, a director I know uses it, but I've never touched it (Avid and FCP for me!). Will say that it's best to transcode the h.264 footage from the camera to something "meatier" before editing. Again, not 100% on the formats for vegas, But I normally go ProRes or DNxHD depending on what system it's later going into (FCP or Avid). Shane Hurlbut does work on the 5ds and has a blog on 'em here:

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/

#6 Ari Davidson

Ari Davidson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

As far as video examples go, you're better off trolling about vimeo.com than youtube. It's members tend to be more artistic and tech savvy.

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

CineLab

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc