4 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

I'm in the process of making a simple Windows front-end for FFMPEG, which basically consists of a folder access box and lot of check boxes for the most commonly used FFMPEG functions.
Apparently FFMPEG also supports Redcode, but I'm having trouble finding out exactly how this is done.
All I can find on the Internet are people asking if this is actually possible, and they never seem to get any answers. Or the ones the do get seem to have been posted by Emanuel or one of his relatives... :lol:
Since Redcode is really just compressed Bayer data, how does FFMPEG produce the final output? Presumably it would not be as good as the official RED software, but is it good enough?

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

FFmpeg once supported Redcode.

Since then, Red have begun encrypting the data so this is no longer possible. It's probably possible to attack the encryption, but since this doesn't have the mass-market lure of something like blu-ray cracking, it seems pretty unlikely it will ever be done.

I don't know what they did about debayering it when it worked, but there are several fairly competent debayer engines available in the open source world and any of them ought to be able to do a half-reasonable job, rising to really quite reasonable with specific tweaking - assuming your definition of "reasonable" is what Red do.

#3 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

FFmpeg once supported Redcode.

Since then, Red have begun encrypting the data so this is no longer possible. It's probably possible to attack the encryption, but since this doesn't have the mass-market lure of something like blu-ray cracking, it seems pretty unlikely it will ever be done.

I don't know what they did about debayering it when it worked, but there are several fairly competent debayer engines available in the open source world and any of them ought to be able to do a half-reasonable job, rising to really quite reasonable with specific tweaking - assuming your definition of "reasonable" is what Red do.

Hmmm. Defeated at every turn.
What possible purpose would be served by encrypting the Redcode files...?

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:37 AM

Presumably so they can prevent anyone else from writing a demosaic algorithm for it, which makes difficult to disprove the idea that there's something special about theirs.

#5 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

Do you know where you can download the latest version of FFMPEG by the way?
The links I've come up with today are about as incomprehensible as most of the comments on the help forums.
All I want is the version for Windows 7.
What is this? Geek-Speak Turbo Express or something :P

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Opal

Abel Cine

CineTape