10 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

I recently bought the Alien Anthology Blu-Ray (U.K. version.) Although it's nice in a way to have all four movies together, I was really only interested in the first two anyway - both of them brilliant in their own unique way. The first was a great suspense film and the second was a great action film. Another thing that I was looking forward to with this box set was the 60 hours worth of bonus material / special features. However, upon seeing some of this bonus material, I am a little disappointed at the amount of screen space that is allocated to the picture. With most of the footage I have seen (screen tests, trailers, documentaries etc) you do not get a full screen image. Not even half screen. Actually, it's less than a quarter of the size of the screen. What you see is this tiny little picture pushed up to the top left hand corner of the screen. Ridiculous.

I admit that I am relatively new to Blu-Rays...actually this is the first one that I have owned. Is this postage stamp size treatment of the bonus material common with Blu-Rays?

#2 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

Among the footage is an interview with H.R.Giger discussing the design of the alien (at least that's what I assume he is doing) - talking in his native Swiss tongue. Unfortunately, the picture is so small that it's impossible to read the subtitles.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

You need to update the software in the your blu-ray player -- I had that "tiny window in one corner" problem with the behind-the-scenes videos on a blu-ray and it was fixed when I updated the player.

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

You need to update the software in the your blu-ray player -- I had that "tiny window in one corner" problem with the behind-the-scenes videos on a blu-ray and it was fixed when I updated the player.

Ah cool. The player was purchased earlier this year so I simply assumed that it was 'up to contemporary standards.' Now I'll have to work out how to upgrade the software....the player didn't come with any manual. Hopefully, Kogan's website will hold the answers.

#5 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:37 AM

I contacted Kogan Support and they said that no software updates are available for this model of blu-ray player. I simply assumed updates were available for most models on a semi-regular basis.

#6 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

I contacted Kogan Support and they said that no software updates are available for this model of blu-ray player. I simply assumed updates were available for most models on a semi-regular basis.

Is this Kogan Australia?
What is the brand and model number of Blu-Ray Player?
If it's a lower end model it's probably made by Shenzhen MTC.
If I can identify the model I might be able to find where you can get an upgrade.
Upgrading is normally just a matter of putting the upgrade data on a flash drive and selecting "upgrade" on the user menu.

#7 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

[quote name='Keith Walters' Is this Kogan Australia?
What is the brand and model number of Blu-Ray Player?
[/quote]

Yea Kogan Australia. There might be a Kogan logo on the front but I can't recall...the player is currently at a beach house. Oddly, there is no model number on the front of the machine. Though there is a model number on the back which reads: KGNBD2VAA. And there is a serial number on the back too. Unfortunately, the digits are very tiny and not easy to read but it looks like: KGNBD2VAA0629. However, the '6' near the end could be an '8' - it is hard to tell. So the s/n might in fact be KGNBD2VAA0829. It's also mentioned that the unit is "java powered" and it's Region 4 (DVD-VIDEO 4.) I think I recall it was bought quite cheaply in conjunction with a Kogan LCD TV.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

All blu-ray players are to some extent "java-powered", it's how the menu interactivity is done.

#9 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Yea Kogan Australia. There might be a Kogan logo on the front but I can't recall...the player is currently at a beach house. Oddly, there is no model number on the front of the machine. Though there is a model number on the back which reads: KGNBD2VAA. And there is a serial number on the back too. Unfortunately, the digits are very tiny and not easy to read but it looks like: KGNBD2VAA0629. However, the '6' near the end could be an '8' - it is hard to tell. So the s/n might in fact be KGNBD2VAA0829. It's also mentioned that the unit is "java powered" and it's Region 4 (DVD-VIDEO 4.) I think I recall it was bought quite cheaply in conjunction with a Kogan LCD TV.

Erk. It looks like Kogan make up their own model numbers, so I can't identify the original manufacturer. (Often when retailers have "House Brand" equipment made for them, they use the original factory model number for at least part of their own model number, but not in this case).
It doesn't look like any of the models I know about. The remote is often the giveaway, but none of the ones from players I have any info on looks like the one shown in the PDF I downloaded from Kogan's website.

#10 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Erk. It looks like Kogan make up their own model numbers, so I can't identify the original manufacturer. (Often when retailers have "House Brand" equipment made for them, they use the original factory model number for at least part of their own model number, but not in this case).

Ah okay. There is a URL contained within the Blu-Ray for trouble shooting (in case there are issues with the playback of the Blu-Ray.) I think it's about time that I visit that website.

#11 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

Well that url was pretty useless. It just leads to a website with a list of brands of blu-ray players and Kogan isn't even listed. There is a link which looks like it could possibly lead to something useful but when I click on it, a message comes up that says that the page cannot be displayed.

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio