#1 Paul Brenno

Paul Brenno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Dakota

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

hello fella cameramen/women....have a conundrum for y'all (seriously answers only)....
I've been in the film/video production business now for over 10 yrs....I first started as a Commercial Producer/Editor way back in 1998, long before P2 Digital became mainstream. My goal was to become a DP, work for a video production company in a major city, like Dallas. I worked in Houston for several yrs, even fulltime as a DP on a home lifestyle show. I was fired from that show, only due to the Managing Producer being just a big jerk. I then spent the last 5 or so yrs, working as both Photographer in news and DP, ending in Denver, before being laid off. I had no steady video work, had to work as custodian to painting to earn money. I then got a fulltime position as Videographer/Editor at a company, was DP'ing mostly, but then was fired for not editing enough or knowing After Effects, Motion (which they already knew I had basic knowledge of)....this was NOT a good exp's, with some advice, one person is teling me to switch careers or go back to school to learn motion graphics, etc....I'm 42, not sure if news is a better fit or production.....?????

Edited by Paul Brenno, 11 October 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

We all get fired. Keep trying to do what you want to do. It sounds like you have experience and networking both on your side. You may need to get to a bigger market... but, if you've been doing it this long, I don't see a reason to stop. Though, you could and possibly should, also take some courses on other things, to round yourself out. Even if you're not doing motion graphics, knowing them might help you on jobs, or to meet people ect...

#3 Paul Brenno

Paul Brenno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Dakota

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

thanks Adrian, I'm definitely NOT ready to give up and quit...I know we've all been fired or laid off, etc...I had a discussion with a family member, their argument/point was that " how has working in video produciton paid off ??? ", since I've been fired 2x (in the span of 6 yrs)....all other positions I've left to other opp's....I just applied to a position in my hometown and didn't get the job due to the other candidate doing more corporate DSLR work

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

CineTape

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC