#1 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Did anyone else notice how radically different the release print for IDES OF MARCH looks from the web trailers?

I know it's not uncommon for the trailer to be cut from the dailies transfer, which might not exactly recreate the look dialed in in the final DI, and of course the trailer generally gets a dedicated grade that leads to a more "extreme" look which might be overwhelming or irritating in a feature. And of course it's a web view vs. a film print in a theater.

That said, the look of the print on Ides of March is so deliberate (riffing on 70s Gordon Willis paranoid thrillers like PARALLAX VIEW and ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN really beautifully; it's worth a watch for the cinematography alone, and it's also a fantastic movie) that I would guess it was built in at the dailies.

So, I think maybe the trailers were deliberately graded in a more modern, saturated, grain free fashion. Interesting world we're getting into now, but I guess it makes sense; as beautiful as the print is, it might be a little off putting in a trailer.

Anyway, cinematography fans, check it out, great movie, great camera work.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

I think maybe the trailers were deliberately graded in a more modern, saturated, grain free fashion.

Trailers are done and in release weeks before the film itself. So, they're often graded before the final decisions on the film have been made. I'm not sure how it works on major studio features, but in low budgets, the DP doesn't get consulted on the trailers.

-- J.S.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:44 AM

Did anyone else notice how radically different the release print for IDES OF MARCH looks from the web trailers?

At least some "Dan in Real Life" trailers were radically different from the release prints. The trailer I saw at the local AMC24 was tack sharp, it looked like it could have been a contact print from the negative. But the prints released to theaters were the typical low resolution 35mm high speed duplicates that look like cr*p.

I'm not a big Steve Carell fan, the only reason I bought a ticket and went out to see it was because I expected a visual treat. Instead I fell victim to what amounted to a photographic "Bait and Switch".

#4 Darrell Ayer

Darrell Ayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

There's a few shots that I am in love with in this movie. The turning point behind the American Flag and lighting of the bar scene at the end where he confrots Clooney. The classic, thought out look of the movie had me floored.

#5 Brian Hulnick

Brian Hulnick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

I heard good things about this movie. Yet another one on my to watch list when it comes out in Blu-ray.

#6 Markshaw

Markshaw
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

I have this on pre order. Looking forward to watching this.

#7 Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

I'd say Ryan Gosling is the man to watch, what with this movie and Drive.

#8 Adrian Samuals

Adrian Samuals
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Trailers are done and in release weeks before the film itself. So, they're often graded before the final decisions on the film have been made. I'm not sure how it works on major studio features, but in low budgets, the DP doesn't get consulted on the trailers.

-- J.S.

Hence why there is sometimes footage shown in trailers that is not seen in the final film.

#9 Adrian Samuals

Adrian Samuals
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

Great movie. Clooney done well here.

#10 Brian Hulnick

Brian Hulnick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

-- J.S.

That is definitely true.The teaser for The Bourne Legacy has just been released yest my girlfriends sister watched them filming in El Nido Philippines only last week.

#11 Brian Hulnick

Brian Hulnick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

There's a few shots that I am in love with in this movie. The turning point behind the American Flag and lighting of the bar scene at the end where he confronts Clooney. The classic, thought out look of the movie had me floored.

I really think Clooney studied his friend Soderberg as their style is quite similar, in a good way.

#12 Markshaw

Markshaw
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

I watched Ides Of March, Contagion and Traffic over the weekend. There is a definite similarity in styles as far as directing are concerned. Something certainly rubbed off.

#13 Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

I think Clooney did a great job on this movie. Great acting and directing.

#14 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I heard good things about this movie. Yet another one on my to watch list when it comes out in Blu-ray.

It is actually a good film.
Kind of intelligent and about the things that happen to people. I liked it.

You should definitely check it out! :)

love

Freya

#15 Brian Hulnick

Brian Hulnick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

It is indeed a very good movie. Watched it twice now, and I enjoyed it just as much the 2nd time around.

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

CineLab

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks