25 replies to this topic

#21 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1263 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Sorry... clarification. AVID supports RED ONE R3Ds and EPIC 5K support starts with Media Composer 6. We are working closely with AVID and all other major players.

Jim

Could Avid release a update for the older MC systems to support the newer codec? Have they said anything about possibly doing that or will they only support the newer codec on MC6?

-Rob-

#22 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Avid supports R3Ds natively. So does just about every other major app except the new FCP-X. And that is coming. Albatross not spoken here.

Jim

The new free LightWorks reads R3D, but can't output it. Too bad, that would be an interesting synergy for a lot of individual Red owners. Buy a camera, get free editing software....

-- J.S.

#23 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3888 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

The new free LightWorks reads R3D, but can't output it. Too bad, that would be an interesting synergy for a lot of individual Red owners. Buy a camera, get free editing software....

Will that be the case when the subscription version comes out? An advanced RED tool set seems to be on their road map for Q1 & Q2 2012.

#24 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Will that be the case when the subscription version comes out? An advanced RED tool set seems to be on their road map for Q1 & Q2 2012.

It depends on what kind of deal they can make with Red. Their principle is to charge money for the things that cost them money, but to try to do as much for free as possible.

There's some amazingly good stuff in the open source movement now. I've been using MuseScore, and just found a very useful little program called MediaInfo....

-- J.S.

#25 Vincent Sweeney

Vincent Sweeney
  • Sustaining Members
  • 686 posts
  • Director
  • LA at the moment.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

Even without HDRx DR is wide, I expose as I would film, meter set to 800 iso, highlights seem fine, sounds as though the iso was set low either in the camera or in post, as it's raw it does not matter as long as the people handling the footage know what it's all about.

It may be fairly wide but it isn't film or Alexa wide, at all. I want to like this red shit, really, I try to, I just keep having bad luck I guess. Inconsistent, buggy... all has been said before. In some ways larger budget productions benefit the most from having the resources to deal with red. Most indie work seems better off with F3 type cams. I know the last feature I worked on benefited from the simple codec and camera operation.

I was there the day Jim opened up that tent in 2006 and I was really into the whole thing at the time. The new Scarlet announcement/price is even making me consider owning a camera again (someone talk me out of it). I guess I should have asked about my sunglasses in 2006.

Yeah Keith, give the comments a rest. Are you a working DP, AC or director, by the way? What's the drive?

#26 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

No Comment.

rebotnix Technologies

System Associates

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks