#1 Irving Garcia

Irving Garcia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:52 AM

This is my first post and i could need some help. I have to ligth a stop motion shortfilm in a couple of weeks and i would like some advice sinces ive never done it before. So any advice would be great. Thanks.

#2 Justin W. King

Justin W. King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York, NY

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

If I where you I would get a very bright daylight balanced light (relative to your regular scene light) and use that for lightning. You can gel a tungsten light if needed, but you loose two stops of light, so you would have to consider that when picking the light. You expose for one frame, and you have a flash of lightning. I would suggest photographing a copy of the frame without lightning as well, incase you decide to do something different in post. I think shooting tests will allow you to figure out how you want to time the lightning. Good luck, I hope this helps. I would also test to figure how bright you want your lightning to be.

#3 Irving Garcia

Irving Garcia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

If I where you I would get a very bright daylight balanced light (relative to your regular scene light) and use that for lightning. You can gel a tungsten light if needed, but you loose two stops of light, so you would have to consider that when picking the light. You expose for one frame, and you have a flash of lightning. I would suggest photographing a copy of the frame without lightning as well, incase you decide to do something different in post. I think shooting tests will allow you to figure out how you want to time the lightning. Good luck, I hope this helps. I would also test to figure how bright you want your lightning to be.

Thanks, very helpful, i will do these tests, thanks again.

#4 Jenna Whitney

Jenna Whitney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS