New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • Bozeman, MT / Falmouth, ME

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hello,

This may seem like a stupid question but here goes. I had 2 rolls of 16mm fuji 160t left over from a film shoot that had been stored in a friend of mines refrigerator. Unfortunately the house that the film was stored in caught fire recently and the fridge may have reached high temps but I cant be certain. The stock was recovered and the cans seem to be fine. I am currently working as a teaching assistant in a film school and we decided to go ahead and shoot the stock with a class anyway because we get free lab and transfer. My question is if the raw stock did reach a high temp how will it affect the ASA and what can be done in terms of exposure compensation, or is it a total waste of time? Any info would be great.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

Hello,

This may seem like a stupid question but here goes. I had 2 rolls of 16mm fuji 160t left over from a film shoot that had been stored in a friend of mines refrigerator. Unfortunately the house that the film was stored in caught fire recently and the fridge may have reached high temps but I cant be certain. The stock was recovered and the cans seem to be fine. I am currently working as a teaching assistant in a film school and we decided to go ahead and shoot the stock with a class anyway because we get free lab and transfer. My question is if the raw stock did reach a high temp how will it affect the ASA and what can be done in terms of exposure compensation, or is it a total waste of time? Any info would be great.

Without knowing what really happened there is no point in guessing. Normally I would ask the lab to do a clip test. For a telecine transfer it will probably be fine, especially if you overexposed 2/3 stop.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

You really have to do a clip test. It could be anywhere from fine to a total loss.

-- J.S.

Opal

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery