#1 Matias Nicolas

Matias Nicolas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

HI , can anybody tell me which is the difference between this tiffen filters? the low contrast, ultra contrast & soft contrast?
Thanks !

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Tiffen Low Con is the oldest filter, from the 1950's or maybe earlier... it's similar to a Fog filter but with less halation (glow around lights), but it still softens somewhat and bright lights glow a bit. Soft Con is a Low Con with black specks added to bring down bright areas a bit.

Ultra Con is a newer design, from the late 1980's I think -- the "mist" particles in the filter are much finer so there is more of an overall haze added without as much softening or halation as with a Low Con.

Double Fogs (late 1960's) are a mix of a Fog and Low Con filter.

#3 Matias Nicolas

Matias Nicolas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

Thanks ! great answer...

#4 John Miguel King

John Miguel King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • London, UK

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

I've an exterior shoot next weekend on Epic and I'm concerned about the relationship between noise and highlight detail. Mostly because we want to shoot 300 fps, and this pushes the camera to the extreme.

I've been looking at these filters, mostly the soft contrast, but I've found very little information on how they affect sharpness. We do want a lot of sharpness. But I also want to keep as much density as possible and no clipping. Weather's probably going to be very windy (London in October...) which makes frames a no go. Also cos I'll be on a rickshaw.

Any thoughts or experiences on this issue of sharpness?

I'll be testing the combo on Monday but I do wonder if there are other recipes for this.

Cheers!

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

I've an exterior shoot next weekend on Epic and I'm concerned about the relationship between noise and highlight detail. Mostly because we want to shoot 300 fps, and this pushes the camera to the extreme.

I've been looking at these filters, mostly the soft contrast, but I've found very little information on how they affect sharpness. We do want a lot of sharpness. But I also want to keep as much density as possible and no clipping. Weather's probably going to be very windy (London in October...) which makes frames a no go. Also cos I'll be on a rickshaw.

Any thoughts or experiences on this issue of sharpness?

I'll be testing the combo on Monday but I do wonder if there are other recipes for this.

Cheers!

SoftCons are an older technology -- you might want to test Schneider Digicons insteads, which are more like UltraCons instead of LowCons:
http://cinematograph...igicon-test.htm

Otherwise, there is a relationship between contrast and sharpness, lowering one lowers the other.

#6 Sam Eilertsen

Sam Eilertsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Providence, RI

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

SoftCons are an older technology -- you might want to test Schneider Digicons insteads, which are more like UltraCons instead of LowCons:
http://cinematograph...igicon-test.htm

The images on the page David links to aren't showing up for me. Anyone else getting them?

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport