5 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

I just saw Lee Utterbach's webpage, and it says he's liquidating his inventory. Is he closing up shop, retiring, selling to someone else?

Anybody know what's happening?

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

That was quite a while ago. I looked at the Arri stuff he had for sale, but it was all too new for me. I collect the early ones.

-- J.S.

#3 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

That was quite a while ago. I looked at the Arri stuff he had for sale, but it was all too new for me. I collect the early ones.

-- J.S.

To be honest, I never liked the guy much. He had a similar sale in the mid 90s, and I was there with a friend looking at a BLIII. I'll never forget Lee calling me and my friend "investors", and then telling us "You understand that your camera, if you buy it, isn't always going to be here when you want it, nor all the parts that go with it.... you understand that sometimes we may have to rent bits and pieces of it here and there. You understand... blah blah blah..."

Well, I know I'm not endearing myself to anyone who knew or liked the guy, (hell, I'll never work up here again), but he never struck me as really liking film so much as being part of the industry itself so he could show off. Just me.

#4 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

I actually thought he was very nice. He helped me out of major jam at school when I couldn't rent anything. Lee hooked me up and let me rent one of his cameras extremely cheap for the weekend, it's something he didn't normally do without insurance.

#5 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

I actually thought he was very nice. He helped me out of major jam at school when I couldn't rent anything. Lee hooked me up and let me rent one of his cameras extremely cheap for the weekend, it's something he didn't normally do without insurance.

Believe it or not, I was a student too. But it didn't matter how young I was, he saw dollar signs in me when I said I was interested in purchasing a camera.

#6 michael street

michael street
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • World Wide

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I just saw Lee Utterbach's webpage, and it says he's liquidating his inventory. Is he closing up shop, retiring, selling to someone else?

Anybody know what's happening?

He retired and is selling off remaining items...

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Opal