#1 Sean Elder

Sean Elder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hey I'm not sure if this has been asked, but if it's out there then a point in the right direction would be wonderful! I am trying to find different shim combinations for CP2 lenses, also what applications (cameras) would these setups be used for. Is there a list or online quick table for these lenses?

#2 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

There's a chart in the CP2 manual that comes with the mounts that spec's the shim thicknesses and also the quickest procedure to collimate in the field. It works pretty well BUT it takes a loooooooong time - you have to properly torque all the tiny screws, mount the lens, check it to a focus chart, then disassemble, shim, check again. Not fast, but it works. And shims exist because the flange on each camera may or may not be to proper spec. I found that when I shimmed my set for PL, the lenses taped-out remarkably well using the same combos for EF - menaing that the set I have is very uniform on the lens-side, and that my PL-mount and Canon mounts are equally to spec or equally out-of-spec - but to the same degree. So there are a lot of variables. Best bet is to measure a lens using their procedure and start with whatever it is, at least you'll know which direction to shim - add or remove. But I'd say get the PL/EF mount manual and read through it - it has the charts.

#3 Sean Elder

Sean Elder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Awesome!!! Thanks a lot!

Best bet is to measure a lens using their procedure and start with whatever it is, at least you'll know which direction to shim - add or remove. But I'd say get the PL/EF mount manual and read through it - it has the charts.

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider