Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Well I'm a bit shook up.
I spent most of today editing a video and having finally got it sorted I nipped downstairs and opened it on my other computer that has an LCD display.

Suddenly all my work just looked like a dreadful mess.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. I have a large CRT monitor on the computer I use to edit and I've had shocks in the past, but this is something else altogether. I was smiling at the finished video on the CRT but on arriving downstairs, was absolutely feeling like I was hit by a rock. It looks soooo bad I wouldn't want anyone to see it.

This isn't the first time I've had an experience like this and I tend to find that when stuff is projected, it looks okay again but...

It's especially bad in this case because the footage is video8 footage I suspect (so low res etc) but the lcd panel seems to wash out all the colour and replace it with noise.

Is there anything I can do about this practically or do I have to chalk this one up to experience?
Any ideas for what I could do in the way of grading that might balance things out?

Anyone know why this is happening?

love

Freya

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

There are several pathways you can go to figure out what is going on.

The first is to simply burn your project to a dvd and then play it in different monitors.

Verify that your CRT is set to the correct specifications. Also determine the ambient light situation. And ambient light spill can really mess up what you are viewing, either during the editing phase or playback phase.

You could also post the video to youtube, (the private setting that allows up to 25 invitations to view the video) and then compare that on different monitors. Plus, you can also take an existing youtube video and simply see how that video looks on different monitors.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:17 AM

I've noticed that a few things look better on CRT than a LCD. Shadows and graduations can be a problem once you look closely. Perhaps it could with many LCDs being 6 bit rather than 8 bit.

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC