Photo

16mm telecine storyproblem, please help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackson defa

jackson defa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hi I am a director living in San Francisco. I've just shot a film on 16mm negative film. I have just over 16K ft of stock. We've processed it at Alpha Cine in seattle (they were kind and worked with us despite us being a very independent film). I now have a 16K developed negative in my apartment.

I am trying to get this negative telecined so I can move on to post.

Here is the problem I have run into

I cannot afford to telecine at Alpha Cine because it is so expensive. We have looked for alternatives. My producer found a university close by that has two telecines and they are willing to transfer our film for free. However, they do not do a negative to positive telecine so we would only be getting a negative image back.

We ran a test of the footage and then used a filter in FCP that is called Negative. It turns the image positive but with a pretty noisy result.

This is where I stand. I cannot imagine allowing this noisy image to be my final look. We shot film because we love the depth and latitude it allows. Not to mention the colors and the contrast... ect, ect

Any ideas of what we should do?

We are thinking of getting this poor-quality, noisy telecine to edit with and then using it to produce an EDL and then going back out to film... or... we really don't know... any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks, everyone!
JD

PS, does anyone know what resolution is best to telecine 16mm? thanks!

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hi I am a director living in San Francisco. I've just shot a film on 16mm negative film. I have just over 16K ft of stock. We've processed it at Alpha Cine in seattle (they were kind and worked with us despite us being a very independent film). I now have a 16K developed negative in my apartment.

I am trying to get this negative telecined so I can move on to post.

Here is the problem I have run into

I cannot afford to telecine at Alpha Cine because it is so expensive. We have looked for alternatives. My producer found a university close by that has two telecines and they are willing to transfer our film for free. However, they do not do a negative to positive telecine so we would only be getting a negative image back.

We ran a test of the footage and then used a filter in FCP that is called Negative. It turns the image positive but with a pretty noisy result.

This is where I stand. I cannot imagine allowing this noisy image to be my final look. We shot film because we love the depth and latitude it allows. Not to mention the colors and the contrast... ect, ect

We are thinking of getting this poor-quality, noisy telecine to edit with and then using it to produce an EDL and then going back out to film... or... we really don't know... any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks, everyone!
JD

PS, does anyone know what resolution is best to telecine 16mm? thanks!

HD resolution 1920 x 1080 is quite good for telecine, 2k scans are the best. You could get a one light SD transfer with keycode for very cheap if you shop around. that will get you editing, but you'll be spending more to finish it later and it might look like crap.

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

. any thoughts would be helpful.

The better the quality of the Telecine, the more expensive it is as a rule. You have 8 hours of footage.

One thoucght wold be to do a "workprint" one light transfer with teh Keycode showing in a window. Edit that, and then go back and cut the negative more or less to match, - then get a GOOD transfer at that point.

Ship it all to NCL in Toronto and get a film workprint, and borrow a flatbed and work with that. Again conforming the negative and working from there..

Good fast Cheap, pick any two.

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Opal

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc