Source 4

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tony DeRosa

Tony DeRosa
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

I'm looking to pick up some junior source 4 lights and just wanted to make sure the mounting hole is correct to work on a c-stand. Its a M12 hole with c-clamp

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

I'm looking to pick up some junior source 4 lights and just wanted to make sure the mounting hole is correct to work on a c-stand. Its a M12 hole with c-clamp

Thanks

I think you'd have to get it converted from a pipe clamp normally used for theater to a baby (5/8" pin/spigot) stand mount.

#3 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Avenger part number e390 (TVMP bolt to 5/8" female) - the lights aren't particularly heavy, baby hardware is fine hence the avenger mount made almost specifically for s4 light units. I'm pretty sure the ETC part is cross-referenced with the avenger e390, seem to recall that from buying s4 parnels a while back.

#4 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Keep in mind the S4 Junior is considerable dimmer than the standard S4 - to the extent the standard S4 with a 375w lamp is still brighter than a S4 Jr with a 575w. Your money is better served getting a standard S4, both economy wise (less wattage for same output, more fixture on circuit) and brightness wise (can use larger lamps for more oompf). Finally, the S4 Jr uses non-standard size gobos - so if you ever run into someone who wants to use a pattern they already have - it won't fit. Standard S4 takes the standard Size B, and can take Size A as well. There are a zillion accessories for the standard S4 as well. Resist the urge to buy the Jr because it's cheaper - there's a good reason.

36 degree lumens @ 15'

S4 750w: 404
S4 575w: 303
S4 375w: 194
S4j 575w: 189
S4j 375w: 121

As far as TVMPs to adapt the light to baby stands, I'm partial to the American Grip one - but the Avenger is not bad. The Matthews one is terrible - it has a lame, cheapo thumb screw where the previous two both have nice T-handles.

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets