Photo

Before you buy... good write up on real price and issues.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#61 Darren Levine

Darren Levine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Astoria, NY

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

i love to imagine how forum conversations would go if they were in person. things flame up way too much for such simple reasons...

it takes a lot of patience and control to be a spokesperson for a whole company, i can imagine what a huge frustrating bite that was for jim to have taken in 2006 and keep chewing up till now. probably learned a lot of things since then. still more to learn, same as any human with each day. i don't think anyone can identify another company who has penetrated a market that large and taken such a large chunk of attention from in such a short time. it's impressive, it really is.

that being said. i'm still waiting. for the company, and for the man.

the company: my budget range for a camera tops out at 10 grand, i was hopeful that the original scarlet would be my next camera 3 years ago. but things changed and the company went in a different direction, OK. and since i have yet to operate a RED in an official capacity, i can only go by what my associates tell me about their experiences. and while there are good experiences out there, there are just far too many bad experiences to ignore. the impression it leaves with many people, is that the cameras are very much BETA. not that it's a bad thing, because they do release updates to continue refining the cameras, but we as an industry have come to expect more finality in a camera's overall ability when we invest into it. i'm sure that the operative abilities of the cameras are being improved every day, but myself as a worker would rather wait till a company has a product that is tested tried and true before buying it. again, maybe that's the case already with the new scarlet, but it's too early to tell at this date. the scarlet could have been the camera for me, but 14000, with proprietary and brief batteries, along with proprietary and expensive media, keep it well out of my purchase range. that, and i really, really, like built in ND filters.

the man: All prior obstacles considered, there's always more that needs worked on with a company such as this, and i watched for november 3rd as closely as any, and i read Jim's statement that said: announce and ship, no BS. i thought that finally some finality had arrived. but sure enough when i went to the order page, i saw not a buy now button or add to cart button, but a deposit/reservation button(i forget exactly which), i knew RED still wasn't quite there yet for me.

i'm on the sidelines, and im proud to say that i have never "picked a side" i choose what is right for me that is available at the time and for the right price. i own an ex1, af100, and a 5d, so i'm representing 3 major competing manufacturers, and i honestly don't give two sh*ts about loyalty to any of them, i support manufactures all equally to produce the best they can. and in that token i absolutely love RED for stirring up the market, i think we have cameras from other manufactures that we wouldn't have if RED didn't happen(though it's very debatable how much of the large sensor push was also because of DSLRS).

but honestly, everyone in forums need to gain some people skills/tolerance/understanding/cander/civility. heated debates/arguments are great, but people get too dicey and offensive too easily and escalate. the bloom red ban is a perfect example. yea, it was a big f*ckup, but the adult way that should have went was like this: user1: "wow jim, did your really ban bloom cuz he bashed the epic?" jim: "yea sorry bout that i got pissed and shouldn't have done that, he's reinstated now, my bad." DONE! no back and forth mocking between sides, it's effin pointless and seriously sounds like playground time in kindergarten when forum arguments flame.

just my 3 cents as a filmmaker/working videographer and a forum frequenter(though new to this particular one)

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Robert Starling

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine

K5600 Lighting

Cinelicious

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks