#1 N.E. Coats

N.E. Coats

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

My main concern is that I'll be denied entry to most, maybe even all, programs because of my age. I'm turning 36 next month. My background is in still photography. I've also taken basic/beginning classes in general filmmaking, editing, color correction, & graphic design. Also, I have already worked professionally as a photographer since 2007, & occasionally as a non-union dresser on professional (Equity) theater productions since 2000.

Also, I have no children, I'm not in a relationship, & I have absolutely no plans for either.

Are my concerns unfounded, or could I really be denied because of age?

#2 N.E. Coats

N.E. Coats

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

I meant that I'm turning 36 in January.

Edited by N.E. Coats, 26 November 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

I meant that I'm turning 36 in January.

I can't see a problem, there are people older than you who have gone to film school. I remember having a conversation with Walter Lassally many years ago and he was talking about 40 year students being at the National Film School in the UK. I suspect it's even less of an issue than it used to be because people do more mid career changes than they used to.

You may find that the good schools will want to see examples of your film/video work.

#4 Ian McCann

Ian McCann

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

I am 57 and the London Film School were very keen.  Admitedly I am a qualified commercial photographer who has practiced as a self-taught freelance television DoP/Lighting Cameraman for about 30 years, even DoPed some award winning commercials.  But hey ho, 57 and the only thing stopping me is my need to finance my mortgage and wife and to still have a wife to attend the graduation ceremony after a couple of years in another city trying to improve my career prospects and make myself happy again, I hate mainstream TV work.  I would sell my sole to attend one of the great film schools to convert my skills to cinematographer or filmmaker even at my age and with my crippling back-pain ( years of working with portable TV cameras will do that to you).

If your family life and finances allow.  Go to film school.  Just be sure to go to a great school.  There you'll meet great students who may make it in other fields and feed you work.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Visual Products